Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fluids

Hi all

I am planning to service my car by myself but I cannot find the right amount of fluids I will need in my car.

If someone can help, please tell me how much I will need for the brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and the coolant fluid.

My car is Astra H 1.6 vvt (Z16XER) and I will be using Castrol for the brake and transmission fluid, (I have got easytronic, will I need to buy manual fluid or automatic cos I have read on Castrol website its manual), whats is the best fluid for power steering and the coolant.

Thank you in advance and please help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    transmission and power steering fluid shouldnt need to be changed - unless ur being really anal and want to just for the sake of it!

coolant also should be longlife (red) and therefore has a 5yr lifespan - but again, replace it if u wish.

brake fluid is advisable to change every 2yrs or thereabouts

as for actual amounts - i cant give the exact info im afraid, not sure if its in the manual or not....

PAS fluid - i would use Standard Vauxhall PAS fluid (green oil)
    Coolant - Longlife Red coolant (again from Vauxhall)
    Brake - DOT4 is more than adequate
    Trans - you will need ATF but I would recommend speaking to Vauxhall to find out the exact specification needed (probably Red Dextron 3)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    transmission and power steering fluid shouldnt need to be changed - unless ur being really anal and want to just for the sake of it!

coolant also should be longlife (red) and therefore has a 5yr lifespan - but again, replace it if u wish.

brake fluid is advisable to change every 2yrs or thereabouts

as for actual amounts - i cant give the exact info im afraid, not sure if its in the manual or not....

PAS fluid - i would use Standard Vauxhall PAS fluid (green oil)
    Coolant - Longlife Red coolant (again from Vauxhall)
    Brake - DOT4 is more than adequate
    Trans - you will need ATF but I would recommend speaking to Vauxhall to find out the exact specification needed (probably Red Dextron 3)

Thanks for the reply

I am sure i dnt need to change the fluids for the transmission and power steering but i dnt knw when the previous owner changed (if she did at all) but jus to b on the safe side. I have found out that power steering and transmission fluids are the same fluids apparently.

Coolant im changin cos gona drain the radiator, change the pollen filter so might aswell change the coolant.

most probably contact dealer for quantity. thanks anyways

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its unlikely the prev owner touched the PAS and Trans fluid because Vauxhall dont stipulate they are changed!

Only under "extreme conditions" i believe, they advise to change the fluid in the box.

Obviously i find it a good idea to change the transmission fluid but in most cases this isnt really needed until after several years

its certainly good practice to change the lot - just so u have peace of mind if anything else.

although u can generally use ATF as PAS fluid in a lot of other models, Vauxhall tend to use their own specific fluid (green) as opposed to the red stuff used in transmissions

totally upto you though, but seeing as its essentially a one off service i would just get the correct specific PAS fluid

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take it you have use of some sort of pressure bleeder for the brake fluid?? Because just renewing what is in the reservoir wont benefit the car. You need to bleed it at the calipers so its hard to say how much fluid you will need.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Smile easytronic fluid

Quote Originally Posted by shahalz View Post
    hi all

i am planning to service my car by myself but i cannot find the right amount of fluids i will need in my car.

If someone can help, please tell me how much i will need for the brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and the coolant fluid.

My car is astra h 1.6 vvt (z16xer) and i will be using castrol for the brake and transmission fluid, (i have got easytronic, will i need to buy manual fluid or automatic cos i have read on castrol website its manual), whats is the best fluid for power steering and the coolant.

Thank you in advance and please help
    the gear box is actually a manual one .the auto shift is a electric controlled clutch slave mechanism,only needs a small amount of atf fluid to top, up if needed. Which if i remember is the same as the power steering fluid.the box itself will need fluid. As for manual

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Easytronic is just a manual gearbox with automatised shifting, so use manual gearbox oil, example Castrol SMX-S.

For coolant it does not matter what brand it is as long it's red.

For power steering you have to use original Vauxhall power steering fluid, do not use ATF!

For brakes DOT4 will do.
    Opel Astra 1.8 Elegance Saloon '02 233k miles
    Opel Astra 1.8 Sport Caravan '99 225k miles
    Opel Astra 1.6 Ultimate Wagon '10 87k miles Click

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thank u all

if anyone can tell how many litres i need will wicked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Engine oil - 4,5 litres
    Gearbox - 1,6 litres (not 100% sure, but it's around that)
    Cooling system - 5,9 litres
    Brake fluid - 0,5 litres
    Opel Astra 1.8 Elegance Saloon '02 233k miles
    Opel Astra 1.8 Sport Caravan '99 225k miles
    Opel Astra 1.6 Ultimate Wagon '10 87k miles Click

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks a lot. had a look around under the bonnet but cant seem to find the transmission bottle. i could c the power steering (the white one at the back) but not one for the transmission. anyone know where it is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast