Thread: White smoke under acceleration when heated up?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy White smoke under acceleration when heated up?

Looking for some help with my 52 plate gsi with 50k miles hope someone can help. I suspect the turbo is on its way out but not completely sure.

Getting alot of white smoke under acceleration when the turbo kicks in, this only seems to happen after the turbo has actually heated up, does not happen on idle and didn't happen when i let the engine heat up for 10-15minutes then revved it.

Anyone know if this is the turbo and if so is it beyond repair? Am i ok to continue driving it like it is or could this damage my engine as i am pretty worried about that.

Any help appreciated thanks alot

**I have also noticed a burning smell on a few occasions****

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    White smoke is normally an indication of coolant/antifreeze being burnt, so potentially head gasket failure. Turbo failure would normally result in oil passing the turbo and being burnt which would be more of a blue smoke.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the reply griffin, what is the best way of finding out what it actually is then? Am i going to have to put it into a garage? Will they have to do much/charge alot to find out?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unless you are a fairly handy mechanic yourself then you probably will have to put it into a garage or to a friend thats good with cars. If it is head gasket failure then there are a few signs that you could check for yourself. Remove the dipstick and see if the oil on it has a creamy residue on it aswell which you get when water and oil mix, also if you take the cap off of the header tank you would probably see an oily film on top of the water again the mixing of oil and water. Personally i would refrain from driving it until it is sorted as it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had it checked over at the garage, he can't seem to find anything wrong with it, said he got no symptoms which would suggest the head gasket.

He sat and let it heat up and took it for a drive, couldn't see much smoke but i told him it only seems to happen after its been driven hard for a while (turbo has heated up well)

Any ideas, does this suggest that the turbo is on its way out?

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I would say turbo is on the way out they start to go at around 45k

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not necessarily... does the turbo still boost hard pull through all the gears? He would be getting some blue smoke if it was on the way out would of thought...

These engines do smoke a little... think people just get paranoid because they are running a turbo.

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainey88 View Post
    Not necessarily... does the turbo still boost hard pull through all the gears? He would be getting some blue smoke if it was on the way out would of thought...

These engines do smoke a little... think people just get paranoid because they are running a turbo.
    yes but not the way he is describing tho..

IF its smoking under boost the chances are that the seals are starting to give up in the turbo.. what we dont know is what power it runs etc so its a very sensable guess at the problem

take the pre cat off and check for play in the turbo... OR leave it and wait and see what hapens... and keep ur bank card handy
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It isn't just a little bit of smoke rainey it is ALOT, when it happens i can see it in my rear view mirror, like a massive cloud, people behind me would have no problem seeing it, very noticeable and again only happens when i have been driving fairly hard for a while.

Has been running a bit lumpy, started not long before the smoking started, few flat spots which i notice more when in the higher gears not sure why that is..

Running standard power stu, i don't mind leaving it and see what happens, don't want to be doing any damage in the meantime though, think i'll try save up for a z20leh turbo see if that makes a difference, seems a good excuse

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe it is then, espcially if its going abit lumpy... amazing the difference in boost when you put a new turbo on as well. If you have a spare weekend take it off and check for play and such things.