Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Management Light.

Hey,

Recently i have been having trouble with my Astra 2003 1.6 8v. I was driving along and all of a sudden one of the Engine Management Lights came on, the one with the Spanner going through the Car. and everytime this light is on there has been a major lack of acceleration.(the light doesnt always come on, seems as if it only comes on once the car has heated up)

I looked it up in the manual and read that the car would be in 'Limp-Mode', which i imagine just means the car will have enough power to get you home.

I took it to a garage that i know, the mechanic used to work for Vauxhall, who has worked on my car since ive had it. he plugged it into the Reader and it came up with 3 faults.

• Throttle Pedal (Cheapest option at around £70)
    • Throttle Body (+250)
    • ECU (£650+, £100 for Vaux to Program it)

He took it to Vaux, where he still has mates working, they couldnt explain anymore than what he already has.

So we went ahead which the cheapest option first in hope this would solve the issue, it didnt. so he searched for a throttle body and that didnt work either, so now im in a situation where i could be forking out alot of money for a new ECU.

Basically i was seeing if anyone has come across this problem before, and if so, how was it resovled?

Thanks for your time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OPEL-...item3a5ef45663

Or not so expensive if you get that at a nice price

I would have gone for ecu from the start with the throttle error code coming on out the blue

Joe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Smile spanner light CURED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeweston View Post
    hey,

recently i have been having trouble with my astra 2003 1.6 8v. I was driving along and all of a sudden one of the engine management lights came on, the one with the spanner going through the car. And everytime this light is on there has been a major lack of acceleration.(the light doesnt always come on, seems as if it only comes on once the car has heated up)

i looked it up in the manual and read that the car would be in 'limp-mode', which i imagine just means the car will have enough power to get you home.

I took it to a garage that i know, the mechanic used to work for vauxhall, who has worked on my car since ive had it. He plugged it into the reader and it came up with 3 faults.

• throttle pedal (cheapest option at around £70)
    • throttle body (+250)
    • ecu (£650+, £100 for vaux to program it)

he took it to vaux, where he still has mates working, they couldnt explain anymore than what he already has.

So we went ahead which the cheapest option first in hope this would solve the issue, it didnt. So he searched for a throttle body and that didnt work either, so now im in a situation where i could be forking out alot of money for a new ecu.

Basically i was seeing if anyone has come across this problem before, and if so, how was it resovled?

Thanks for your time.

the "spanner light" is not an engine managment light.it is a fault indicator on the car electronics side. I/e the engine immobilzer.this is a very common problem if you look into the history of this , as wth other posts on this light showing,it
    seems to be at random .on mine it came on when the engine had gone about 10 miles(same as yours),**no other problem** was happening.went off ok when engine switched off,wait 5 secs,and then back on .ok till the next time,and so on. A couple of months ago,read a post by a vauxhall mechanic on this fault,who said the the only fault code that kept coming up,was the air flow meter,giving a poor reading. So strange as this seems, i replaced my air flow meter,>three weeks< ago, guess what, no further light has come on since then !!! As the meter reads air/engine temperatures,and instructs the ecu accordingly,assume this was causing the fault reading,and in your case the misfiring,and limp mode to come on.as a faulty air flow meter does.as it gradually gets worse.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahh cool thanks! ill pass that onto the mechanic see what he says, could give the air flow a try!

Thanks for finding that Joe, i spoke to mechanic and he said it has to have the codes for immobiliser etc... will that come standard with it?!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you buy a package like what i linked, there already all coded to each other so no need to play around with the immobiliser etc

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joereynolds89 View Post
    if you buy a package like what i linked, there already all coded to each other so no need to play around with the immobiliser etc
    so what does the LPG stand for?!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Liquefied petroleum gas

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    think that one may have a modified map to the ecu for running with lpg instead of petrol, unfourtunatly the only other kit on ebay at the moment is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Astra-MK4-1-6-...item2a0aa6563a though should see one or two pop up cheaper then that,, though saying that, see if he will include the airflow meter for the buy it now

Joe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i spoke to my mechanic about the air flow meter. he said my car doesnt have an air flow meter,as it all comes in wih the throttle body.

so back to the ECU, he suggests i try and buy a new one, or get mine repaired, as buying a second hand one will mean getting all the right codes for immobiliser and security codes from the old car. and if they give wrong details im knackered!

So anyone know where i can buy new ECUs or Someone that Repairs them!?

Thanks

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joereynolds89 View Post
    think that one may have a modified map to the ecu for running with lpg instead of petrol, unfourtunatly the only other kit on ebay at the moment is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Astra-MK4-1-6-...item2a0aa6563a though should see one or two pop up cheaper then that,, though saying that, see if he will include the airflow meter for the buy it now

Joe
    There is no change to the ECU for LPG converted cars, they have a seperate piggyback ECU that taps in to the electrics and fools the petrol ECU to thinking it is still on petrol when it is actually running on LPG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast