Thread: Is This A Good Price??......

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is This A Good Price??......

Searching the net for possible alternatives for Turbo Refurbishing and Hybrids, I stumbled across a Yorkshire based outfit called FR&R Tuning.

On their website they offer a hybrid of your existing turbo for the price of £595+VAT which from emailed discussions I have had is supposed to involve replacement turbine with cutback blades, uprated seal and 360 bearing. There is also the mention of a K06 Compressor wheel as part of the Hybrid. I believe this is the spec of the Turbo.

Technical:
    High flow Billet K06 - Large trim Compressor Wheel, C.N.C re-profiled compressor housing,
    modified backplate assembly, left hand thread shaft and wheel, cut back turbine blades,
    lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, uprated 360 degree thrust bearing, unit fully
    blueprinted to minimum tolerances.
    Recommended maximum boost level is 22-24 P.S.I.
    Uprated actuator optional.
    Estimated Power Output:- 330-350 BHP

Notes:
    We can rebuild use your exiting turbocharger to a hybrid unit which will operate like the new hybrid unit. Cost for this service is £595+VAT (saving you more than £575!) For further info please email info@fr-rtuning.com

http://www.fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/ind...&productId=799

Brand new the unit costs £1445..

A few quick questions really.....

Is £595+Vat a decent price for a 'true hybrid' of your original turbo?
    Has any of the Yorkshire lot heard of this company, used this company and would they recommend them???..

Cheers

Shaun
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any opinions peeps??..
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    So it is £700 quid all in. I paid ~£500 for my VXR turbo to be refurbed, 360 thrust bearing fitted and the blueprinting (which is better that having the twin seals fitted, from what I have learnt). So really you paying ~£200 for the K06 compressor wheel. I can't tell you if it is worth the extra, however I know sri_kev, has one fitted.

You also need to ask yourself are you looking to hit > 300BHP?

I personally do not think I would bother, as I am not looking that high, and what I have should be reliable enough.... *fingers crossed*

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fair point Neil, but how I understood this, is that you are getting a K06 Wheel plus cut back blades. Even if not intending to hit 300bhp it should make good boost with a lot less effort than a current k04 set up...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats exactly the same spec as TD which is probably where your turbo would end up. TD charge £550+vat.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stage 2 - £995.00
    £912.00 + vat (new unit) or upgrade your original turbo from £550.00 + vat*

MD496
    High flow Billet K06 - Large trim Compressor Wheel, Re-profiled compressor housing, modified turbine wheel
    blades to reduce backpressure, lightening of turbine wheel for quicker response, Turbo Dynamics designed
    uprated 360 degree thrust kit, unit fully blueprinted to motorsport tolerances.
    Recommended maximum boost level is 22-24 P.S.I.
    Uprated actuator optional.

Estimated Power Output:- 300-320 BHP
    Important Note: It is imperative that the fuel injection and ignition software is modified when fitting the MD496 turbocharger.
    Failure to carry out this modification may cause severe engine and turbocharger damage. A twin ring modification is
    not available for these units as it leaves the ringland in the bearing housing very thin and can encourage leakage due
    to the piston ring seals not being aligned correctly

sounds same as wat i just got

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So judging by your comment Tony, FR&R Tuning would be getting these units from Turbo Dynamics and then just sell them on?.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    though mine ended up £700 due to oil contamanation

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdaxter View Post
    though mine ended up £700 due to oil contamanation
    What they quote is their base price! I got ~£400 for my quote, then guess what ... the shaft needed replacing, so they had to add another £100 on.

I do not think anyone has actually paid the quoted price, unless it is for work on a brand new turbo. It is so easy for them to make something up and stick on an extra £100 or so.... well at least that is my cynical opinion!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hahah yeah ur right,my vxr tubby was under 1000miles and only 30 on full boost so suprised on the damage they said it had

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast