Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would this work?

Hello,

I have posted in here a few times regarding the cost of insurance being through the rough (talking 3 grand min to insure on a astra coup turbo/gsi) well me and my step dad came up with this and I thought I would ask you guys if it would work?

I will take out a policy on my mothers car (renault megane) - fully comp with her as a named driver (so she can still drive her car and its cheaper for me :P)

Next I will insure my step dad on the act/gsi fully comp (car in his name?) then, technically I should be insured to drive the act/gsi third party?

Works out around 1500 for both insurance policys (which my mother is thrilled about - years free insurance for her!)

This was round I will still get a years no claims from the megane aswell.

What you think?

Kieran

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What car will you be driving more often? Take note of the sticky thread at the top re parents insurance.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i think its illegal?
    you have to have your own if you own the car (like i say i think)
    when i tried to insure the wife for her car but in my name - the insurance co.said it was illegal and i couldnt do it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Technically it is legal, but only if your the registered keeper on the megane and only drive the astra 1ish a week and your step dad is the keeper on it! I dont no how old you are but alot of insurance companys now have a 26 year old age limit on driving other cars 3rd party! Also insurance companys seem to have eyes everywhere and usually find these things out! best to be safe and insure it properly however much it hurts the pockets!
    ASTRA H 1.8,Silver Lightning,
    Clifford 330 Alarm, Window Tints, vxR Clocks With Needle Sweep, Cruise Contol, Heatshot Washer System, XP Spoiler, Insignia Jets

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car will be put in my step dads name so that shouldn't be any problem, and to be honest I will be driving the astra most (who wouldnt? :P) - I just thought it could be a work around to save me a grand or so lol :P

Edit : Seen next reply ::: and yeah more I have been looking most say 21 to be able to drive 3rd party! Argh I guess I'll just have to wait couple of years =(

I'm 18 btw (19 soon, 1year ncb soon)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    The car will be put in my step dads name so that shouldn't be any problem, and to be honest I will be driving the astra most (who wouldnt? :P) - I just thought it could be a work around to save me a grand or so lol :P
    That would be illegal. You're young, most 18 year olds don't drive 200bhp 150mph cars and theres a reason for that.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWithCheez View Post
    That would be illegal. You're young, most 18 year olds don't drive 200bhp 150mph cars and theres a reason for that.
    Fair comment; Although I do hate the way all young drivers are type casted. I know there is nothing I could do about that and I can see where insurance is coming from, but were not all tyre killers and noise polluters and suicidle drivers lol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yh i would wait,
    ive just turnd 20 and mines still 2500 have you tryd admiral?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think theyre typecasted, it's a statistical thing. There are insurers out there that recognise that people with nicer cars look after them but on the whole younger drivers crash more, hence the price. I had to wait until I was 21 to get a sensible quote (well, for uk insurance prices) of £1000.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think theyre typecasted, it's a statistical thing. There are insurers out there that recognise that people with nicer cars look after them but on the whole younger drivers crash more, hence the price. I had to wait until I was 21 to get a sensible quote (well, for uk insurance prices) of £1000.
    I suppose it does make sense, I mean I would like to try and find an insurance company where if I pay a larger deposit it makes the monthly cheaper but not one company I have spoke to will let me do this (e.g if the insurance is 2500 I want to pay like 1000 deposit and have lower monthly, while most say 300 quid deposit and higher monthly) - This I could maybe handle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast