Thread: Temp problems....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Temp problems....

Hi all, just joined this forum as I'm a proud new owner of a 99 Astra 1.6, and this seems like the place to get help/advice. I plan on doing quite a bit of work to the car so I shall be around quite a bit!!

Only issue with the car at present is when I initially start the car, it starts fine, but the temp gauge shoots up to almost maximum, straight away, and the engine cuts out after a few seconds. I then re-start the car and the temp gauge goes up, not quite as high, but fan kicks in, then the gauge very slowly settles down, but still stays in the middle(ish), and fan usually goes off.

I was told that this is more than likely a sensor (or sender, he may have said...(?)) issue, and a simple fix. Does this sound about right to you knowledgeable folks??

If so does anyone know how much roughly this item costs, and if it is a simple DIY fix?? Any help advice would be much appreciated.

I am a complete car novice so go easy on me. I am a PC engineer by trade, so if anyone has PC/Laptop issues, or is after any cheap software, feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers Guys.

Ross

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like the coolant temperature sender/ sensor - cheap and easy to fix. A motor factor part is about £5, my local dealer charged £16 for a genuine one. You don't say whether you have the 8v or 16v engine, if it's the 8v the sender is at the back of the engine, on the 16v it's in the thermostat housing at the front. You just undo the electrical connection and unscrew the sender with a spanner - it will loose coolant but not much if you get the new sender in quickly!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK That's great Richard, thanks for your advice. What you're saying is exactly what another friend said, so I'll be changing that as soon as I get home...........won't be until next Wednesday, 29th, so I'll post here and let you know the result. If it sorts it I shall be a happy man, and will send a virtual pint your way!!

Really loving my new (to me!) Astra, drives beautifully, and was an absolute bargain. Never been one to do up cars and polish them, keep them immaculate, but feel different about this one for some reason. Gonna get it valeted properly, and buy a nice set of wheels for it. Once I feel it is up to scratch I'll post a few pics up.......be a few months yet though, due to work...:-(