AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Leaking Fuel

Hiya guys

Astra Diesel van R Reg (1997)

I put £20 fuel in it today, Brought it up to just over 3/4 tank, stopped and got out to see a m8 a few mins after, spent maybe 10 mins at his house, got back to the van and it was like a large puddle of diesel. As I was 30 miles from home, decided just to risk driving it back home.

It dripped all the way, not much tho.. Got out at home and took a look.. It seems to be dripping from above the tank / top of the tank.. Dunno what connections are up there or anything.. Any idea as to where it could be coming from?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Has it got a removable inspection panel inside the back of the van, like some cars have sometimes under the back seat ?. Try looking in that part, that's usually where the pipes connect to the gauge sender unit, could be a perished hose.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    some people have been know to be syphoning fuel out of tanks and also drilling into the bottom of the fuel tanks............have a look at the bottom of your car and look at where its leaking from. If you are lucky, its just a hose that needs replacing.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hiya guys, cheers for the replys

I've managed to get a look under the van today, it appears to be leaking from the "Sender Unit". I think its the sender unit anyway, round black disc with 2 pipes attached and a wire loom, pulled this out and looks like 2 black pipes are attached inside. Does appear to me that the unit is tight enough when twisted back on, and the Oring seal looks to be ok but hangs loose?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkelso View Post
    the Oring seal looks to be ok but hangs loose?
    The o-ring "hangs loose"? I've never taken that apart back there, and can imagine there being an o-ring, but doesn't sound right that it would be hanging loose at all.

Maybe the leak will be easily sorted with a new o-ring. Seems like I'm having to replace all o-rings I come across on my engine. You know - old, tired, rather flattened o-rings. Can't always get the replacement part but found a local bearing supply place with large o-ring stock and have been able to match up various new for old o-rings...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well when I untwisted th sender unit, first thing I saw was the O-Ring sitting there, unattached to anything, I assume it should be held in place by the sender, any hoo, the tank is 3/4 full, the clips look a little delicate for me to come off, so think its a garage job to see if the sender unit is actually loose

Any ideas for a cost for this?

I found a new sender unit on ebay for £30