Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake upgrades on 1.6 twinport

Might be a stupid question, BUT however i will ask,

Is there anywhere selling 308mm discs/pads/calipers and carriers (thats if i need the carriers which i think i will since disc size is larger) for a 4 stub hub? or don't they exist? Not really looking for someone to make them up as it will cost way to much.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u can buy them from LMF etc but they are quite pricey

fortunately the mk5 4 stud is much better than the mk4 in that it uses seperate hub carriers (knuckles) and caliper carriers so changing the calipers and carriers is straight forward (whereas on the mk4 u need to change the knuckles too)

easiest and cheapest would be to convert to 5 stud - but would also involve new wheels etc

theres a set of 308 carriers and calipers on here at the mo (Markb is selling them) but youd need the discs redrilled to 4x100mm PCD and some adaptor rings made to fit in the centre of the discs to take up the difference from 56.6mm to 65.1mm

apart from that they are all plug n play

how about upgrading the discs and pads to a better compound?

EBC Yellowstuff are what Id advise, mated up with some grooved discs in your standard 280mm size - the best bang for buck without upgrading to 5 studs or having 5 st 308s redrilled to 4 stud

HTH

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So you're saying it'll be better to upgrade to grooved/drilled/combination discs and better pads?

Can you point me in the direction for the discs and pads? cant seem to get 280mm drilled or grooved discs on 4 stud, and as for the pads, throw me a part number so i can check them out as EBC is listing the "green stuff" pads for my car :S

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess no-one has a part number for the yellowstuff pads? (I guessed no-one would since their not listed on the EBC website)

As for discs, anyone go any idea where to get them? Fleebay only have them for the 5 stud, surely they have them for the 4 stud aswell?

Ok, found the discs so thats all good

Next question is:
    What would i have to do to convert my drums to discs and is it even viable?