Thread: Coilpack / Spark plugs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coilpack / Spark plugs

I have just ordered and received my new coil pack and am sure it is pretty easy to install. Do I need to spark plugs as well? If I do how easy is it to fit these?

Sorry if its a silly question but I have never dealt this before.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all u do is remove engin cover , there will be star screws remove them , remove the clip that conects to the coilpack then it pulls out
    Astra Gsi full miltek catback , tx enlarged top hat and boost pipe with Baileys dump valve , cdti air box

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best investment would be to get a haynes manual too mate, just for reference and you can have a squint to see how tricky or capable you will be to go ahead and do certain tasks.

Above easy to replace as well as the plugs, if your doing the plugs be sure to get the proper size spark plug tool which is easily available from halfords.
    What goes around,comes around!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd replace the plugs regardless. And I assume you have a misfire which has been traced and verified as a coilpack issue hence you're replacing it? Bearing in mind, plugs can cause misfires and if there is no misfire... then why are you chnaging said coilpack? But as for doing it, very simple but also easy to overtighten the plugs so perhaps get a knowledgable mate to help during the first attempt?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car has been misfiring and the coil pack seemed the most likely suspect. I am also taking the rocker cover off to change the rocker gasket so would it be easier just to change the plugs once the cover is off?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ten times easier, if you are not taking the cover off you would need an extension on to get at the plugs, if the cover is off then you can get at them with a normal ratchet and spark plug socket.

Always change plugs if doing the coilpack for a misfire, they are easily accessible anyway and for the cheapness of them it's worthwhile

And use sealant when replacing the gasket also as they are crap rubber shitty things. I got a hand at a fix-it meet to do my pack and plugs, and again a few months later to do the gasket. showed me how to take it apart and would feel a lot more confident doing it myself now. it's easy with basic tools

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for your reply, I managed to get an original vauxhall gasket and bought some Hylomar blue sealant. The part that im unsure of is how much to tighten the spark plugs?