Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine Computer Light and Limp Mode - 1999 1.8 Auto

Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm not the actual Astra owner myself (I usually hang out on www.mocgb.net myself - can I say that here???) - it is my estranged wifes car that has the problem but I am hoping that someone here can shed some light for us.

Every now and then the Engine computer light comes on and the car seems to go into limp home mode - the revs drop and if you brake too sharply the car will cut out as the revs drop too much. If you switch it off, give it 5 minutes or so and try again all is fine once more and the car will run absolutely fine for a while again.

Seems to be worse after longer journeys and if the driving style is more "aggressive" (quick pull away from lights / roundabouts, harsh acceleration etc) - sedate driving does not seem to exhibit the problem - it has been getting more frequent of late (maybe more harsh driving of late???).

We tried the pedal test to get a diagnostic code out of the car (found by searching here on Friday), however we could not get this to work and the light did not flash at all, alas .

The car is a 1999 Astra 1.8 Auto Petrol. If anyone has any ideas what could be occurring here I would be keen to hear. I had a quick scoot through here on Friday - seems to be a common occurrence but no-one seems to give a definitive answer, although I guess there could be many reasons why it happens.

Some pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance to all for any assistance / guidance.

Regards

TMW

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All,

As an update, just found this:-

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=145193

Can anyone advise if the valve is in the same location on the 1999 1.8 engine, or if not advise where it is?

Thanks in advance.

TMW

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    It's a bit different to the diesel, it's down to the right of the engine inbetween the engine and battery, if you do a search on eBay or something you will find a picture of what it looks like, as for the peddle test, it won't work on your car, do a search for paper clip test that's what you need.

Andy
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im going to guess at an emissions problem on this

but the safest thing is to just go to vauxhall and pay for a proper diagnostic
    G t c

soon!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tmwsccsh View Post
    hi all,

newbie here. I'm not the actual astra owner myself (i usually hang out on www.mocgb.net myself - can i say that here???) - it is my estranged wifes car that has the problem but i am hoping that someone here can shed some light for us.

Every now and then the engine computer light comes on and the car seems to go into limp home mode - the revs drop and if you brake too sharply the car will cut out as the revs drop too much. If you switch it off, give it 5 minutes or so and try again all is fine once more and the car will run absolutely fine for a while again.

Seems to be worse after longer journeys and if the driving style is more "aggressive" (quick pull away from lights / roundabouts, harsh acceleration etc) - sedate driving does not seem to exhibit the problem - it has been getting more frequent of late (maybe more harsh driving of late???).

We tried the pedal test to get a diagnostic code out of the car (found by searching here on friday), however we could not get this to work and the light did not flash at all, alas .

The car is a 1999 astra 1.8 auto petrol. If anyone has any ideas what could be occurring here i would be keen to hear. I had a quick scoot through here on friday - seems to be a common occurrence but no-one seems to give a definitive answer, although i guess there could be many reasons why it happens.

Some pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance to all for any assistance / guidance.

Regards

tmw
    symptoms like this can be the air flow meter..same on mine last year.diagnostic showed the air flow meter),when it stopped alltogether one day., this is the one that is between the incoming air pipe,and goes into the throttle body.affected by engine temperature,as on a longer run,and when the revs drop as you turn a corner,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When was the last time or if ever you had the throttle body cleaned ? ,
    this is one of the biggest problems with the newer Vauxhall engines they
    get coated with grime /tar residue from the engine oil ,
    this clogs everything up , I had similar problems with mine I have exactly the
    same car as your ex wife , remove the throttle body and give it right good clean
    with carb or brake cleaner ,
    After doing mine it was right as rain ,a couple quid for the cleaner and the same for the new gasket for the throttle body

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to all for the replies - definitely some things to look at there. Will let you know how it works out in the next week or so when I get a chance to do some cleaning...

Regards

TMW