Thread: Symptons of turbo failure?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Symptons of turbo failure?

Well i have been having some trouble with my car for some time now and its progressively starting to get worse.

I can sometimes pull away and the car will just creap out of the junction no matter what i do with the accelerator and then out of nowhere take off like a rocket!

Other times i can be accelerating along and its just so lumpy with acceleration all over the place like it just cant make up its mind but it just doesnt feel healthy when the acceleration drops off.

Other times i can pull away and there will be lots of power then for about 2 seconds there will be nothing then a burst then nothing again and then about half as much as before for the rest of the time.

It all just seems to loom at the turbo imo especially with the weird tinny rattling sound i very ocassionally get under acceleration (like once in a blue moon mind)

I have changed the EDU, have changed crankshaft sensor, tried all sorts of additives, tried chucking v power in and to no avail.

So im stuck at the moment. No fault codes or anything

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some people will say it's the MAF failing.

A failing turbo has the characteristic whistling noise. Are you getting that?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know about the 1.7 engine, but the symptoms sound the same as when my EGR needed a good clean on my 1.9CDTi
    Drives 888 Coupe No.6

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm well it drives the same with the MAF disconnected (just alot laggier and slower) as was my first thought. And i have the EGR blanked off as i thought might have been that too.

Oh and btw the problem has been there for the past 30k miles it just seems to be getting worse recently. I cant believe ive done 35k miles since i got the car in feb 09 :O
    Hasnt been the most reliable car ever either as has let me down a few time, alternator went, common oil pump pulley (about a month after i had my cambelt changed too and i checked it was tight then!) brakes only work about 50% of the time and this engine problem. Also has been needing a new clutch for the past 30k miles but im amazed its still alive as has a rattly clutch release bearing. And to top it off the cars only done 75k miles.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^ but with all those problems you still have one of the best mpg for the Y17DT on AOC, as recorded on other threads.

70mpg is something I dream of.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know how I get it haha but tend to do only long journeys and use little throttle most of the time. I guess maybe with the problem it's underfueling or something. I did have a very bad week last week though as I was a bit pedal heavy and got 57mpg which was a bit shocking. Think it's nearly due for a service.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm.. filled her up yesterday and shes back to her same old self again! By that i mean still hesitating but as it has been before things started getting worse.

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They normally smoke like a ******* when you start and pull away when the turbo is going...! Jxx

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fact that the engine performes well at times may suggest this is a mehanical fault, if it were me I would check that you have free movement on the tubo wastegate actuator as it may be sticking or the internal spring may have become weak.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know it smokes a little around 3k rpm as i can see it in the headlights of cars behind me when pulling onto a dual carriageway and how easy is it to check the wastegate actuator as i can see where it is and have checked the hoses but havent attempted removing it.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast