Thread: Astra Mk4 (53 plt) 1.7 dti......Stalling and now non start.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Mk4 (53 plt) 1.7 dti......Fuel Problem ???????? Help

Hi guys......Appologies for this being my 1st post. I needed a kick up the ass to join. I have a whole host of niggly things wrong with my mk4 estate but the major one right now is....it wont start.

History...
    Driving to work this morning the car cuts out when I dipped my clutch to slow for a junction. Started up after a few cranks and drove fine the last mile or so to work.

After work it will not start at all, it tried 3 spluttery attempts but didn't stay running for more than 10 seconds or so (would rev freely whilst it was briefly running)....not even doing that now.

I took off the fuel filter casing suspecting a block or fuel starvation of some sort, I understand I'll have to re-prime this before attempting to start it again. Fuel filter was a bit used but fine, whilst the lid of the filter housing was off I got a friend to turn her over and I noticed no fuel flow to the filter housing from the pipe marked 'In'....should this gush when the engine turns over????

I'm at a loss really as to where to start other than to investigate the fuel system..

Someone please put me out of my misery....this car driving me nuts but I love its versatility. Already had new gearbox & Turbo

Dan

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate first of all welcome to the club
    Where abouts are you ? are you near aberdeen at all?
    have you tryed the fuel pump as they are comon for going wrong. Also if you have let the car run dry of fuel.
    Hope this helps.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mate, thanks for the welcome

I'm from Derby in East Midlands...so a bit of a treck to you highlanders :P

No I havent checked pump, I had 10 mins to check it after work before my lift came so I'm stuck till tomorrow.....any ideas of what to look for on the pump?

The car has never ran dry (gauge showing 1/4 tank & no leaks on my drive) since I've owned it....unless you mean when I turned it over with the housing top off?

Peace
    Dan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Friggin car is doing my nut in now............

I've narrowed the fault down to lack of diesel supply to the fuel pump. I changed out the old filter and primed the filter housing with diesel....she ran fine for a few miles (presumably using the freshly topped up diesel) then cuts out again....the filter housing is not being filled.

So does anyone have any ideas of where to start? It's a 1.7 dti 53 plate, estate....I got the car home with about 10 fill ups of the filter canister

Car deffo has fuel (1/4 tank)....reluctant to fill any more as it might have to come off if fault is to do with tank pickup or something.

Can someone explain how the diesel is lifted into the filter housing....from what I glanced at earlier on my dinner break it seems there is a low pressure lift-pump arragement within the fuel pump itself....tank>low press side of pump>filter housing>high press pump>injectors.....sound about right???? If so I have a few places to look

Cheers
    Dan

P.S. What's the sensor do in the top of the filter housing, also the little brass spring setup on the underside??? I lifted the housing lid off whilst running and I got no error codes or anything....could this be at fault?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Plz help if you can.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    has it got a ecu on the back off the engine. itll be that if it has.
    I dont care what women say
    SIZE MATTERS
    Especially when you have a Big ARDEN

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    you have a pm!