Thread: Bigger Throttlebody???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Bigger Throttlebody???

Why dose everyone i ask say that a bigger throttlebody is a good mod for the 1800.

The standard throttlebody is actually quite a bit larger than the manifold, even if you cut the shoulders off the manifold the throttlebody would still be the same diameter so why replace it with a bigger one what can you possibly gain?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Theres a big debate about this in another recent thread mate, do a search and take a read.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its probably as good a mod as the vectra C intake pipe people bought it my self included and thought shit ive spent like 20 quid on this ooooo i can feel the gains LOL

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    its probably as good a mod as the vectra C intake pipe people bought it my self included and thought shit ive spent like 20 quid on this ooooo i can feel the gains LOL
    I agree with derestricting the air box the as those pipes do restric airflow and that top pipe diameter is tiny which also brings me to the put the top pipe back in thread... what a load of bollox

The idea of the Vectra C pipe is to increase the cold air feed to the box, (mine is alot colder with this mod) dosent really do anything other than that tho

I have also taken the honeycomb insert out of my MAF and fitted a panel filter to improve airflow.

All this above costs about £50 and the car is noticably faster and has a higher top speed.
    Basically what you acheve by this is the same airflow all the way to your manifold (at full throttle). Putting bigger pipes on after the airbox wont do shit, the same as bigger throttle bodies imo. The only way doing this could possibly give you gains is if you change/derestricted the manifold first.
    I look at derestricting mine Its alot of work and i cba.

Im now looking at getting one of these :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/corsa-C-perfor...item3cb092a435

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just have a quick read of this mate.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162273

Its full on proof your car cant go 'faster' unless you've had the rev limit increased etc.

Baisicly your mods give you a better chance of reaching your top speed, before maybe the car struggled to push it to the speed you were getting and now with the 'increased airflow' your car may be able to gain a couple of mph due to slight increase in whatever power you have engine lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    but as ive said all along though ide rather not have loads of bhp and a have a higher top end ide rather have something thats an animal round the streets you know what can we do to this ?

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my post wasnt aimed at you mate, your best bet is to get a decent exhaust with a sports cat 4-2-1 manifold and some fast road cams, remap it and you'll be like vtec then if thats what you want lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Astra_SXI View Post
    Just have a quick read of this mate.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162273

Its full on proof your car cant go 'faster' unless you've had the rev limit increased etc.

Baisicly your mods give you a better chance of reaching your top speed, before maybe the car struggled to push it to the speed you were getting and now with the 'increased airflow' your car may be able to gain a couple of mph due to slight increase in whatever power you have engine lol
    basically what you said, i know and have read the above thread already , my cars never going to go faster than 135mph its more about increasing the speed it gets there, it is only increasing my top speed cos my cars currently not powerfull enough to top it :P

When i got the car it topped out at about 122mph with the above mods it sits at 130 no problem, i also cleaned the throttlebody but it diddnt really need doing

My argument was whats the point in putting a throttle body on thats got a wider diameter than the inatake manifold.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh right lol my bad and yeah mate there on the list !! im gunna buy another inley manifold and de-restrict it if theres no diff its gunna be exhaust mods cams and ITB's

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Let me know how you get on with that i was going to do it myself but it turned out to be more work than i expected so i just put it back together.
    I was worried incase it diddnt work, id be stuck with a ****ed manifold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast