Thread: eml query

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Ford Transit Custom by day :-( Astra XP by night :-)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Unhappy eml query

okay guys have a weird one, sometimes every now and again i get the eml on, sometimes it flicks on then off, other times it stay's on for a min or so.
    Only ever seems to happen if i am crusing at a steady speed (had it happen between 60-80mph) for aleast 5mins, but......
    when the light is on, i can still accelerate hard and it doesn't seem to be any reduction in power!?!?
    Had a word with jon at courtney sport and he told me to wait until it stayed on, then get it fixed, but i'm off on holiday soon and don't what it break down while i'm away for home,
    so.... ant ideas?
    Astra MK5 1.8 SRi XP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get it on a proper diagnostics and you should see for certain if its stored a code

opcom should be good enough - shit loads of members on here have this now so why not post in your regional section instead of just automatically resorting to a certain tuner who i dread to think would charge quite a large amount to check it out!

probs the classic EGR valve though

id recommend removing the throttle body and EGR and giving them a thorough going over with some petrol. clean the inlet manifold out too whilst u remove the TB - rag soaked in petrol should be enough

have u tried the paperclip or pedal test for any codes?

u really need it on a diagnostics before assuming its one thing or another

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    opcom should be good enough - shit loads of members on here have this now so why not post in your regional section instead of just automatically resorting to a certain tuner who i dread to think would charge quite a large amount to check it out!
    Surprisingly they are cheaper than my local vauxhall dealers in putting the car on a diagnostics machine! (and i trust them more)

Didn't know if anyone else has had the same problem, so i have i rough idea of what my be wrong and how much before i try and take some time off work to get it looked at.

P.s this has been happening for over 9 months, sometimes it happens every week other times in can be weeks/months inbetween coming on
    Astra MK5 1.8 SRi XP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id be virtually 99% sure its the EGR

and i would defo give the EGR and TB a thorough cleaning tho - i like to do this at least once a year and would advise everyone else does the same

should only take an hour tops and that includes removing and refitting all parts

a tip tho would be to locate the ECU and remove the 2 big plugs before u do the above, so when youve cleaned and refitted the parts, refitting the ECU plugs will have cleared and fault codes

saves disconnecting the battery and having to reset stereo codes etc - means u can also lock the car as normal where as u couldnt if batt was disconnected

worth a shot surely???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    will try that,
    cheers
    Astra MK5 1.8 SRi XP