Thread: Odd starting problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Odd starting problem

Over the last week my 2006 Astra 1.6SXi has developed the following problem. This only seems to happen on the first start of the day, for the rest of the day no matter how many times the engine is turned on it seems fine.

When I start the car of of a morning, the starter sounds healthy, turns the engine, the engine starts but almost at a reduced idle which sounds clattery and shudders a bit. If I then press the throttle it seems to fire into life and is fine!

If anyone else has experienced this I would be interested to hear their thoughts!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Difficult to tell without hearing it, mine had a habit of doing that and I do wonder if it was a partially blocked injector causing it to misfire for a little while - after having one blocked injector replaced and then all 4 sonically cleaned a while later it hasn't happened again.

Could be coilpack, plugs, EGR valve, difficult to guess.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking the EGR valve controls the emissions? Car just passed its MOT a week ago, no problem certainly with the actual emissions, don't know if a faulty EGR valve would have shown up then. The closest I can describe the action of the engine when it starts is like a clattery pinking noise, then a blip on the throttle it fires into full life. After that the engine acts and sounds absolutely fine. It is turning out to be a bit of an intermittent problem.