Thread: New computer time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New computer time

When a computer dies it's like losing a friend/family member! You spend hours a day on it/with it and it then it's gone! It was on Windows XP and when I turn it on now it won't even get to the logon screen and comes up with one of the blue screens of death.

I'm only after a desktop and just the tower unit as have keyboard screen speakers etc. Not wanting to spend anymore than around £300. Could probably spend less as I don't play games anymore really, but may have some design programs on it.

Where is the best place to shop for one, ebay? I'm so confused what to look for/search etc. Is custom the way to go still? I will do some research when I can, but I'm working 14 hour days at the moment and my 1 day off seems to be working too!

Merci

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have you tried just reinstalling Windows?

Try here if you want a new one. A fair bit of choice between £200-£300
    http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pr...imit=10&page=1

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BSOD is often displayed if there is a hardware or driver issue normally, if you have recently plugged in a new bit of hardware, printer etc then unplug it and try, alternatively try booting in safe mode (press f8 on startup) see if you can get on to the system that way, if so either back up all your data and then reinstall windows or start troubleshooting, do a system restore/roll back drivers windows updates etc, anything that you might of done recently to affect hardware, or when the blue screen comes up, get the stop code that appears on the screen, that usually points you in the right direction of whats wrong, google the code for solutions... Cant remember if Xp has a repair centre thing like vista/7 does, where you boot from the installation disc, and you can do startup repairs etc which could help solve system file errors, Hope i've helped a little, and do everything at your own risk, its only advice.

Josh

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies chaps regarding kick starting the other one.

I have a lot of documents on there I'd like to keep, but if they're gone, so be it. I did google and research the code I got but I got nowhere. The pc is in bits at the moment but i'll get it back together and post the code up here.

How can I restall windows if I can't even get to the login screen? No new hardware plugged in lately.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Do you have the disc? If so stick it in PC, and make sure BIOS is set to boot from CD as priority one, harddrive as two.
    Then it should just load Windows from the disc, allowing you to reinstall. Although it will probably format the drive and you will lose everything.

If not, couple of options to back up documents.
    1) Download a copy of ubunta (its free) and burn it to a CD. From there you can run Ubunta as an OS on the disc, no need to install. Browse your documents and back up to a USB stick, external HDD etc.
    2) buy a new PC, and fit your old HDD to it. Windows will load from the new HDD in the PC, then once loaded you will have access to your old HDD as well.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Do you have the disc? If so stick it in PC, and make sure BIOS is set to boot from CD as priority one, harddrive as two.
    Then it should just load Windows from the disc....
    but hopefully you will get the option to repair the existing installation, see this post, and all your files will be preserved

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    possibly, I tried that a couple of times in the past and never managed to get it to repair properly. Always ended up doing a fresh install.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Buckle - appreciate it.

I will get the error code, post it up on here and see if you have any ideas. Otherwise I will try what you have said - have got the original disc. What do you do to prioritise running from disc? If I have to lose everything then I will, but I will try to get Ubuntu on disc if I can and do what you said.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

ive not done it from a blue screen, but ive needed to repair on about 5 occasions due to something being messed up and its worked no problem

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
    have got the original disc. What do you do to prioritise running from disc?
    Check the link krypton posted, 2nd or 3rd reply on there explains how to change the boot order in the BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast