Thread: Am I "ragging" it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Am I "ragging" it?

Hi all, just a question that I've been thinking about writing on here for a while now.

Now I imagine ragging a car means leaving it in a specific gear for a prolonged period of time that isn't exactly economical lol but what do you guy's class as "ragging" a car? Reason I ask is a work friend of mine was in the car with me the other day and commented on the way I was driving. He was overly worried because I was changing gear between 3000rpm and 4000rpm and said I was doing damage to my engine. Am I? He drives a 02' Audi A6 1.9 and said I should be changing gear between 1500rpm and 2000rpm. Am I damaging my car?
    Ultra Blue/Astra MK4/1.6-16v/SXi Prodrive
    CLICK FOR MY AUTO-BIO

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I tend to change before 3k, diesels you'd change alot lower then that too, you shouldn't be damaging anything though

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    His is the 1.9 diesel I assume? therefore his revs will be lower than yours. 3000-4000rpm is fine, according to my RR printout of my old mk3 it's where your peak power is throughout the gears - if your engine is the X16XEL it's the same
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the engines are designed to take it, otherwise they would all have a redline of 4krpm!

i regularly take my car upto the redline (never hit the limiter tho) and i wouldnt class it as ragging it, ragging it to me is constant redline abuse with the limiter being hit and tyres being shread with wheelspin and brakes being tested to the 'limit'

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Astra_SXI View Post

i regularly take my car upto the redline (never hit the limiter tho) and i wouldnt class it as ragging it, ragging it to me is constant redline abuse with the limiter being hit and tyres being shread with wheelspin and brakes being tested to the 'limit'

As above IMO. Changing between 3-4k is barley even warming the engine up

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    As above IMO. Changing between 3-4k is barley even warming the engine up

Haha, same here. I change up between 3-4K for the first 15 or so minutes, when I'm warming the engine up, ..after that I usually change up between 4.5-6K if road conditions allow. Maybe I'm not such a 'Miss Daisy' as I thought after all

Paula x
    Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition "Flaw Filler" TV Mag Feature Car, June 2010.
    EDS 315ps Stage 3 + Regal inlet Cam.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My car gets almost redlined 5 days a week, never ever done it any harm which was proven when we stripped the engine (1.6 16v Z16XE) at 155,000 miles to find no wear at all internally.

Ragging it, to me, is always going to the redline, always changing gears with a fast clutch action, and braking hard all the time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i change between 3-4000 rpm in my derv all the time in a perv theres no problem, your mates a tool

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ragging it, i would say is screeching away from every junction, bouncing the limiter and doing j-turns in car parks.
    Just taking the revs up high isn't a big deal, especially if your driving a gsi or similar.

Try changing gears at 1500 all the time, it's ridiculous!! lol
    *** 2003 GSi - DROPPED 40MM - FULL SCORPION SYSTEM -PIPER PANEL FILTER - FORGE DUMP VALVE - FROUNT MOUNT INTERCOOLER - STAGE 2 MAP - VXR TURBO - RUNNING 260BHP ***

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    he doesnt know what he's talking about. 1500-200rpm is eco drive revs for a diesel, too low for a petrol IMO.
    if 3K RPM would damage the engine they wouldnt set the limiter at 6.5K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast