Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Everything The Same Old Shit Lately?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why Is Everything The Same Old Shit Lately?

Prepare for a rant:

Ready?

Why is "Astra Chat" full of:

"Look at my car"
    "I bought these"
    "What do YOU think of these?"
    "Where can I get these?"

Search is clearly broken on the website.

Whatever happened to the topics from years ago which actually "discussed" the cars, things that work, things that don't work, new ideas (not f**king airbox mods).

The tech sections are still full of the "i have a problem with .... " fair enough, thats what they are there for.

The regional forums seem to be dead compared to a few years back too and we had less members then. I browse the Scottish region alot and if you go back 3-6 years you'll probably notice alot more activity and it was more useful stuff too. (Nothing wrong with the banter thread IMO, good idea to keep all the spam in one area).

I posted a topic in Astra chat regarding gearbox ratios which IMO is a pretty interesting topic. (Im not just saying that cos its my topic), yet other than a few people (who've posted regularly) it seems people would rather post "i like ur car" in the "here is a new pic of my car i washed it with fairy liquid" topic.

People can post wherever they want, understood but it just seems like alot of the knowledge has vanished from the site ... and everything is getting repetitive.

I know MatG or someone will say that as time goes by things get brought up over & over and with the Astra G being the most popular car on the forum (I think) then the same old questions will get asked time & time again but it just seems like people aren't interested in actually discussing the "cars" and just ask which looks best or what they've bought. I mean people still believe the 2.2 can do 150mph (see N/A forum) so it seems the newbies don't know "about the cars" yet they don't ask and stick to the old "which looks better" formula.

I could rant for alot longer but having been here for 6yrs and seen the site change and evolve im wondering if we're bring anything new to the table or just treading water?

On a side note: (Mainly to MatG): I'm NOT slagging your website off. The majority of your staff (mods, RO's etc) do a good job, the site is informative (usually) and not as strict as it was (for about 9month) awhile ago ... This is just a post wondering if the old members (Pre-2005/6) think the same or not. I know alot of old members have left for various reasons or rarely post anymore (prob don't own an Astra) but there's still some left around. (K3FUS, D Dave etc) ... I know mods will give their slightly biased opinion swaying towards the site is better than ever which is why I guess I'd rather hear from the non-mods/staff.

PS: The car detailing forum was a good addition and wasn't there years ago.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    site membership is bigger paid or unpaid

Astra mk4's are cheaper so more accessible

Recession means that more initiative mods are not being tried and tested these days because they generally cost money

People are far to into euro these days which means a small list of mods, with lack of technical input to achieve the look (or so its perceived).

Scottish Region (only as thats the one you pointed out) got shat on by old team member that has been poaching its members of here since he launched a new website. He is not the only one though we know of at least 4 members that are abusing the PM system to get members for their own forums.

Other than that - no idea
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I think it is the same all over motor based forum's. Even the Landrover ones are getting a bit "samey " at the moment.
    1.7 DTi Estate

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    We cater for the masses so the masses decide to talk about Fairy Liquid, not much we can do.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I think it is the same all over motor based forum's. Even the Landrover ones are getting a bit "samey " at the moment.
    Hey, look, I dirtied my Land Rover

As opposed to:

Hey, look, I washed my car

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seems the same as life atm, same old shit! n just seems people have no money so just sit about talkin and goin over same old things, no money to go out and do things. so in turn on the forums nothing new to talk about and want cheap mods!
    Arden Blue GSI Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    site membership is bigger paid or unpaid

Astra mk4's are cheaper so more accessible

Recession means that more initiative mods are not being tried and tested these days because they generally cost money

People are far to into euro these days which means a small list of mods, with lack of technical input to achieve the look (or so its perceived).

Scottish Region (only as thats the one you pointed out) got shat on by old team member that has been poaching its members of here since he launched a new website. He is not the only one though we know of at least 4 members that are abusing the PM system to get members for their own forums.

Other than that - no idea

I take your answers on board but it's just a shame the site seems stuck on topics where there's not even a proper discussion. It's just "i like that" or "i dont like that".

Ok there's a few topics with discussions but, not many. (I pointed out my topic as an example).

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it just seems like we're going backwards. Gaining more members (or are we cos alot dont post but are still registered) but not gaining more knowledge etc...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Scott's started a thread I agree with

My thoughts, ok so I wasn't here back in say 2003, but I viewed the forum regularly for a year or so when I owned my red mk4 van, before plucking up the courage to register in October 2006...

Regional forums - it's that time of year for them dying off IMO. Certainly when I was East Anglian Ro it was difficult to keep interest peaked all year round, and naturally there was a lull when the show season finished, as people were either looking to "hibernate" their cars, wanted to save money for christmas etc etc. the recession doesn't help matters either, and nor does the fact that these days there seems to be less and less cheap things to do/places to go for meets etc.

lack of search button usage... who knows? maybe it's not big enough? perhaps it should be like this...

maybe people are just too lazy to look these days.

things have definately changed though, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse. It's just different. there's definately more toys being thrown out on a regular basis, from both "old" and "new" members that's for certain.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think there is also a lot to be said for the Astra G and Astra H being pretty similar cars so the knowledge never expanded with a new product. Hopefully the Astra J will improve that due to better/newer engine line ups and a larger selection of new parts and engineering.

I hear what you are saying Scott, I just dont think we can reminisce about the past too much, need to think about the future and make now what you want it to be - sorry for sounding like a sunday afternoon B movie about a kid thats not succeeding but will in the end and we all know it
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    I think there is also a lot to be said for the Astra G and Astra H being pretty similar cars so the knowledge never expanded with a new product. Hopefully the Astra J will improve that due to better/newer engine line ups and a larger selection of new parts and engineering.

I hear what you are saying Scott, I just dont think we can reminisce about the past too much, need to think about the future and make now what you want it to be - sorry for sounding like a sunday afternoon B movie about a kid thats not succeeding but will in the end and we all know it
    The problem lies when those who hold the knowledge and the troublemakers like me who post the crazy discussions all sell their Astra's or just leave for pastures new, and you're left with just "look at my car, I used a different shampoo" etc.

(Im using the whole car shampoo thing as a comical example, I'm not knocking the detailing topics).

I know some of the new people have knowledge, I appologise if you think I'm making you sound like a yoghurt eater but it just seems (from browsing around) that alot of the topics are just "look at this" or "whats YOUR opinion".

Back in the day people done the mod and didn't care what people thought. Some were good mods, some were bad ... but people did them without asking.

PS: That first sentence makes it seem like I'm revolving this topic around Moi, I'm not. I don't wanna give the people Im thinking about ego's but there's some very knowledeable people on here and some of them rarely post these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast