Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Balance shafts removal??

hi guys, sorry if this area has been covered before but here it goes,

Im currently rebuilding a Z20let and with the engine all stripped im just wondering of any benificial mods i can do whilst its out.

Ive looked into removing the balance shafts but not 100% sure on the benefits and also the side affects of removing them.

Any experiance or knowledge would be greatfully welcomed.

cheers
    jase

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have removed the balance shafts in both my road engine & my new race engine. The engine rev's quicker, has better compression braking and feels more lively. The downside is that you now have increased NVH and the engine has to cope with the stresses of the secondary harmonics that the balance shafts are there to counter. In the Z20LEH, it uses a dual mass flywheel. It doesn't matter how well you balance the rotating assembly, you'll always have the secondary harmonics in an inline 4 cylinder, 4 stroke engine...

On the new engine, the balance shafts have been removed as well. As to extra mods, I would get the head done at the same time. Port and cams etc. It will make a huge difference. I picked up over 20% flow on the intake and 25% on the exhaust. With bigger cames and the rest of the parts its should make a big difference.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazlini View Post
    hi guys, sorry if this area has been covered before but here it goes,

Im currently rebuilding a Z20let and with the engine all stripped im just wondering of any benificial mods i can do whilst its out.

Ive looked into removing the balance shafts but not 100% sure on the benefits and also the side affects of removing them.

Any experiance or knowledge would be greatfully welcomed.

cheers
    jase
    An AOC member has fitted this kit the best part of two years ago, and has experienced no running issues whatsoever. The engine was a standard Z20LET, with exhaust, filter, intercooler and VXR turbo. He then had a CS3 put on there. He says the engine is quicker to rev, and has not noticed any issues with idling.

This is only one members experience, which has/is a positive one, the final decision is yours.
    FYTuning Ltd - Coming Soon