Thread: Car Is coming apart tomos need advice

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car Is coming apart tomos need advice

Hi everyone you might know me from prevoius post my astra 1.7td gm low blow has pump failure comfirm by bocsh spec now am going to take her apart lol just wondering on the timing belt side of it if i set the crankshaft at tdc and put a locking pin in and locking pin in pump (shouldnt really might as well go in bin lol)

on the camshaft theres no locking point i dont think could i just mark it up with some tipex before i take the belt off

and just another quick question when the new pump goes in should i just put a locking pin in and that will line up with the rest of the engine?? the pump timing is preset controlled by ecu thats what it says in the haynes manual

cheers for your time people

Dan

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I did the timing belt on my 1.7 dti...there was a bolt hole in the top pulley wheel to 'lock' in place...as per haynes...

It was my first attemp, and it went well

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats not a gm low blow mate isnt it ??or you got a izuzu one ??cheers mate

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1.7td1998 View Post
    the pump timing is preset controlled by ecu thats what it says in the haynes manual

not sure on that bit maybe haynes is right but i thought its still a mechanical pump at the end of the day so needs to be timed up right

i might of read wrong tho

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    If I'm notmistaken I think we determined that dan has an MK4 not and MK3 so the pump is an electronically controlled VP29 not the mechanical VE pump.

Timing belt info for the X17DTL with the VP29 does describe using the locking pin, so I think you are on the right track regarding installing the replacement pump

I have been pouring over all this info these past few days, comparing VE with VP29. I want to set VE pump timing but have limited info on it. Guess it would help to know how one sets the timing when one installs a replacement VE pump.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right am confused so if i take my old pump off and fit new one in place if i attach sprocket and lock in place then fit timing belt that should be right yeah? obviosly with the rest timed right becuase the sprocket can only go on one way and there hole can only go over one hole and lock in one place

confused lol

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Dan,

I wish I still had TIS 2000 on my computer for a guide. I just asked a similar question regarding VE pump install on the MK3 X17DTL on the VxON.

Seems to me that the VP29 install (sprocket on only one way and use of locking pin) should be easier than VE pump install. Sounds like it should be pretty much as you describe. Doesn't the Haynes manual have some detail on it?

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    na just says lock the pump when doing timing belt fitting/removal

and pump timing is electronic controlled by the ecu i think the pump is driven by the belt just to build pressure inside of pump and then fired at times controlled by the engine ecu

correct me if amm wrong lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    You are correct, I gather that the VP29 timing is electronically controlled by the ECU.

I've had discussions recenty with a fellow with a MK4 like yours who was trying to help me with my MK3 X17DTL. The differences in setting up the injector pumps were obvious. Sounds quite straight forward with the VP29 to me.

I say install the pump as you described. Install cambelt with everthing lined up correctly, use a wrench to turn the crankshaft 2 full revolutions to see that its good to go. Connect up what you need to to try firing it up (including sensors).

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate so wait a minute have you got a diffrent pump becuase my engine code is x17dtl is well or are they diffrent between the mark 3 and mark4

cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast