Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Veccy C intake, best option for Astra G?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Veccy C intake, best option for Astra G?

Currently got a Wolfrace cone filter in my car. But i took that out today to clean it so until its clean ill be running the factory airbox.
    But im a bit bored of the sound the cone makes, and i think id rather ditch it for performance increase. So a couple of questions.

1. Is it worth doing to a 1.4 16v Astra G 5 door?

2. Is there much of a performance increase? Say it was a 0-60, would it knock any time off? Or more importantly, 0-25, because i think the low end torque could be improved, and if it does improve it then i'll do it.

3.Which parts/part numbers do i need? And is it a difficult job? Im not that great with cars...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    2. Performance increase? No. Shaves any time off? From my experience no. This is on my 1.8 btw.

3. The part numbers are in the how to forum on the main page IIRC.
    Difficult job? If you follow the how to then it's not difficult, just fiddly. There's a difference

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    2. Performance increase? No. Shaves any time off? From my experience no. This is on my 1.8 btw.

3. The part numbers are in the how to forum on the main page IIRC.
    Difficult job? If you follow the how to then it's not difficult, just fiddly. There's a difference
    From your first answer, wtf is the point then lol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox's which are supposed to give 1-4bhp. Really tempted to get one but I don't know if it affects insurance and don't know if anyone has fitted them to their astra on here yet.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You'll lose low down torque with any airbox mod...you need to decrease the pipework diameter and further increase the length of the intake pipes to have much of an impact low down. That or get the cylinder head skimmed a fair bit to up the compression.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyDuz View Post
    From your first answer, wtf is the point then lol
    There isn't one IMO. Many will disagree though & i'm not saying they're wrong, or right, or whatever.

When i did mine, i read up on it & many people said it gave a slight performance increase.

I did it & noticed sod all difference whatsoever. Any change, positive or negative, was minor (i.e. a waste of time). This was performane AND fuel return. No change.

IIRC, someone came closer than most to doing a test on which gave the best power output by going on a RR & testing various setups. I could be wrong here, but one of the pipes out & a aftermarket panel filter gave the highest power output. As i say, my memory may have me being wrong.

If i knew before doing the mod, what i know now, then i actually wouldn't bother.

However, if you're after a bit of an increase in noise output, then go ahead. I'll concede it did do that well enough.

As i say, everyone will have their OWN experience of it. If you want to do it, do it & see what you think. It doesn't cost much.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    There isn't one IMO. Many will disagree though & i'm not saying they're wrong, or right, or whatever.

When i did mine, i read up on it & many people said it gave a slight performance increase.

I did it & noticed sod all difference whatsoever. Any change, positive or negative, was minor (i.e. a waste of time). This was performane AND fuel return. No change.

IIRC, someone came closer than most to doing a test on which gave the best power output by going on a RR & testing various setups. I could be wrong here, but one of the pipes out & a aftermarket panel filter gave the highest power output. As i say, my memory may have me being wrong.

If i knew before doing the mod, what i know now, then i actually wouldn't bother.

However, if you're after a bit of an increase in noise output, then go ahead. I'll concede it did do that well enough.

As i say, everyone will have their OWN experience of it. If you want to do it, do it & see what you think. It doesn't cost much.

Yea i read that test. I believe the best combo was a K&N panel filter and a derestricted airbox.
    I havnt derestricted mine yet, would that be worth it, or again, would that be pointless? I did it on my Corsa B and it made no difference.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just driven with stock set up and it has much more low end torque. Pulls off the line loads better even with air con on.
    The cone tended to soak up too much engine heat when waiting at a red light for example, then would slowly pull off.
    I miss the sound though to be honest, the 1.4 sounds bland as anything all through the revs with a stock filter.
    I guess the only way around it would be to buy an enclosed cone filter, with its own cold air feed. But i doubt that would be very loud of its enclosed.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Stock setup gives a smoother airflow into the pipework after the airbox (note the flared and narrowed shape of the top pipe)...

The 'test' referred to above showed no difference worth mentioning across all the options tested, certainly no difference within the expected margin of error for a handful of rolling road tests on the same system on the same day.

Status
    Mentioned in
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    but problem now is that you cant at the moment buy the smaller veccy c pipes as vauxhall have stopped making it but im speaking to head of vauxhall to produce this again

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast