Thread: Maybe you know?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face Maybe you know?

Hi - I was wondering whether anyone may be able to help me with some info? I have just found this site online after having a very expensive phone call from my local Vauxhall garage. My exhaust engine management light came on yesterday but then cleared itself after popping into the garage. They told me to take it back this morning for diagnostics. I have an 06 plate 1.9cdti 150bhp. Its had a little flat spot for a few months that started soon after being serviced. It was quite smokey until a few months ago, but on the service they said they cleaned something and it was ok again - they told me to drive it fast every now and then to keep it clear as its lowish milage for the plate. (which I have dilligently done!) Vauxhall told me today that the diagnostics said that a rod had fallen off my inlet manifold and that the flaps werent working properly and that it would need the entire thing replacing as it would damage my engine and would be around 4 hours labour. Can those things just fall off? And how much would you expect to pay to get them replaced. Is it worth getting quotes from elsewhere? Not knowing anything about cars and hearing the word exhaust - I popped into Kwik fit who plugged it in and they said they cant do anything (wrong end of the exhaust, but the machine told them is was a manifold leak) Any help greatly appreciated. I'm not feeling too confident in the Vauxhall garage after them implying that it could go wrong anytime when I picked it up from the service! Seems quite coincidental. Thanks Fran

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1 dont go to kwik fit

yes common fault and not a cheap 1 to fix ring around the different vx garages near you to get a quite cheap as poss but be prepared to take a hit

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Nice Engine/car,
    I don't know a great deal with the engine, but it sounds to me as though what they are saying is there is a turbo air leak, and possibly the actuator is not working as it should,(i can't see it actually falling off tho) perhaps it was easier to explain

Perhaps if you talk to a mechanic, explaining the syptoms ie looking as though you know what your talking about, you might get a better quote,

What i have said above needs confirmation from a member please

P

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a common fault with this engine along with the ERG valve needing cleaning.

Take a look here: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=172453

and:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=145193

Hope that helps.