Thread: All mechanics of the board -

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

All mechanics of the board -

Am looking for a road out of where I work. I work for a builders merchants & it's the only job I've had since I was 14 - I'm 27 now. Reason for wanting to leave-
    • It's dead end.
    • Never know what time you finish. You finish when you finish & if you want to go before that, you get no end of grief.
    • Not very well paid. I don't mind putting up what I'm on: £6.82/hr & £7.73 after the 1st 40hours. It equates to 55 hour weeks, approx 18k per year, but if you only went on your 40hours, you'd be looking at 14k per year. I want more.

I've never known what I want to do which doesn't help. I'd been considering training to be an optometrist - optician to most people.
    Recently been thinking of training to be a mechanic though.

Most here will know my knowledge is extremely limited, but I'm interested.

My brother is training to be a hgv mechanic. The guy he used to work with was pulling approx 29k per year, but was doing silly 60-70hour weeks for it. I also know as an apprentice, he only needs to get paid £95.01/wk.

If I was to become an apprentice, is the same wage all I need to be paid or is it different due to my age?
    What salary can you expect from this job working on cars?
    Typical hours for the job? Usually expected to work weekends?

Just some general info. Would you recommend or warn against? Course length & difficulty?

Ta.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would pop down to your local college and have a chat wit the staff there about courses.
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Aye I know that, but due to my working hours it's pretty difficult to go and see folk - colleges, banks or just anyone who's in business between the hours of earlybird & laaate. This is why I thought I'd ask here as it's just at the fingertips & experience feedback is always better than feedback from someone trying to sell you a product I find.

• I should point out that my asking here wasn't instead of asking a college, it was just to get some experience based feedback until I get the time to go see a local college.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    hgv mechanic have a look at stagecoach that used to take people on all the time
    Volvo B7 and B10's ect ect also Daf's an scania
    once you have done a few years your be looking at 35k easy

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate is a fitter at quick fit, earns 16k a year, went in as a trainee and they trained him up whilst he worked etc.

Can be quite long hours but the moneys pretty good and its a bloody good trade. If I wasnt in the resturaunt trade Id do mechanics.
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Lot of people trying to become a mechanic (as with most trades actually) so there are fewer places and most will go for the cheapest option.

It's quickly becoming a case of who you know that can get you in, rather than whether you're intelligent, quick to learn etc.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im an apprentice mechanic, I am currently NVQ level 2 and am going back to do level 3 and an advanced apprenticeship (technical certificate) in a few weeks.

Because i was over 18 when i started my 1st year my boss had to pay for me to go to college, i think it was a couple of hundred quid, (he didnt have to pay but offered)

i was on £80 or £90 a week for the first year as that is allthey have to for a first year apprentice

2nd year my money went up as it goes to minimum wage aslong as you are over 19.

3rd year doesnt look like im getting a pay rise as work is so slow at the moment! and im having to pay to do the course(£800)

its not a difficult job i dont think, alot of stuff just comes naturally i feel.

i woud say if your not 100% on wanting to do the job, don't do it.

i work mon- fri 8.30-5.30 but i dont earn enough money so i have another weekend and evenings job. but alot of garages are open on saturdays and a fewof my mates who work in garages work from 8.00-2.00 on weekends.

the college stuff is relatively easy, i have a short attention span at best but still managed distinctions in most of my tests.

I think if you can take a bit of banter, get on easily with people and are willing to spend out on tools then go for it, you will love it.
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot for the info there pal.

A lot of the above isn't a problem.

I'm not stupid (even though i don't know cars). I got As, Bs & Cs at GCSE level & B,D,E at A-Level (slacked off majorly for 6th form, but nothing i can do now) so i'm not stupid.

I know a lot of people will go for mechanics from school. A lot of people who are into it and a lot of (for want of a better word) "thick" people who can't think of anything else to do. So the field becomes swamped .... though there are many garages about around the country.

My i just mentioned that, is my other consideration was as an optometrist. There's less opticians around the country, but at the same time, there'll be less people trying to get on as an optometrist.

Regards Minimum Wage .... IIRC you don't qualify for minimum wage until you're 21 i think it is.

I have money in the bank - i have over 20k saved to one side, but this was ideally for moving home.

16k per year is not as much as i was hoping for tbh.

I worked out on basic pay i get £14k per year. With all the overtime we're forced (yes, forced) to do, i got £18.5k last year.

I don't want to be doing 55 hour weeks any more
    I'm also looking at getting above 20k per year. So if a CAR mechanic can't do that, then it's not for me, even though i'd be interested in it.

I know a lot of garages are open till at least dinner on a Saturday. While i don't mind working Saturdays, it would be nice to have the odd one off. But if this wasn't possible it's not the end of the world.

35k is good, but that'll be the HGV side of things isn't it. I was told they get more than car mechanics, but my interest doesn't really lay with HGVs.
    Especially when i see my brother doing 8am - 8pm regular. Sometimes until 10pm. Not for me i'm afraid!!!

To summarise, i'm just needing something with less than 55 hours a week & 20k or above per year.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Find yourself a plot of land somewhere for £3k-£5k, spend the same amount again on securing outline planning permission, and sell it on for a healthy profit.

One of my PT clients has just done that, turned a £9k investment into £65k in less than 6 weeks.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    Supporting Trader
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im a car mechanic its not just your wage you can make really good money on private jobs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast