Thread: how to clean oil from coolant system

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how to clean oil from coolant system

i have recently had a problem with the oil cooler on my 1.7 tdi astra 2001, i had this replaced but there is still oil in the coolant, i was told to buy some flush from halfords, i used this and it was useless, then i was told by a ford mechanic to use non bio washing powder which also did not work, can any tell me the best stuff to clean it and where to get it from, thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bio degreaser about ten bottles and ten seperate flushes of system,but you will neva get rid of it all unless you change some parts etc
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another good one is diesel, half of a litre every flush for the same as above about ten flushes. Make sure you get the engine up to running temp to loosen all the gunk up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I have read the posts about oil coolers leaking and wondered when someone might ask about cleaning the crap out of the cooling system. Its got to be just like cleaning the emulsion after head gasket failure - gooey stuff that gets everywhere.

Interesting to hear about the use of diesel - maybe I'll try that if ever I have a need to. I have heard of "bio degreaser" on other forums but still not sure what that is. Must be some UK product.

A weird but effective one I saw on the Rover forum is Persil low suds front loader laundry detergent, about a cup per flush (plus I used a shot of Sunlight dishwashing liquid). Never bubbled up at all in the Rover. Multiple washes that way, and multiple water flushes and rinse as indicated above. Followed up with standard cooling system flush product, etc.

In fact I first removed the rad hoses, squished out as much gooey emulsion as I could, cleaned out the expansion tank with a rag each flush, and even sprayed engine degreaser down into the radiator, then flushed with plenty of water....