Thread: flashing fake alarm led

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking flashing fake alarm led

Hey everyone hope u hve all had a good day. Today I decided to buy one of these red flashing leds to deterent people from stealing the car until finances are sorted when a decent car alarm can be fitted well anyways my problem is I dont know where to start looking for some help so I have turned to u guys. What i need to know is what wires to wire it up to that are easy access pics would help alot obviously i only wnt it flashing when the car is off and Not when am driving. Any help is much appreciated thank you in advance

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    from my limited knowledge the only way to achieve this would be to use a permanent live from somewhere (maybe you could wire into the perm live from the radio and use that as a source?) and fit a switch somewhere out of the way, maybe by the side of the seat or under the dash somewhere and just turn it on when you get out of the car.

I have done a similar thing in most of my older cars over the years, but mine was by wiring into the feed for the ignition with a hidden switch, if you dont turn it on, it'll just spin over and wont start, so the would be thieves wouldnt get it, and as a bonus, i would here it turning over!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    you will need a perm live and an earth so that it flashes when the car/ignition is off, i.e flasheds at night. you can find these behind the cd player. you may want to install a small switch on it so that you can turn it off, so it doesnt flash when you are driving. ok in the daytime, very annoying at night.

EDIT: Dam you clarkey1984, you beat me to it!!
    Astra T9 estate for sale, see my ebay link!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know there is ways of doing it with out a switch i am a forget ful person so I would forget to turn it on if iam honest did think about a switch first time round but don't want to use a switch. Anymore help appreciated

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Take the live for the led to a battery live, the radios a good place. Then take the earth to the led to a ignition live as this will be earth when the ignitons off. I'd recomend taking this from the ciggy lighter
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I presume am correct in sying its the brown wire from the ciggy lighter ? And what wire would it be on the radio and does it matter that i changed my headunit as this no longer powers up if ignition is off

Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    Take the live for the led to a battery live, the radios a good place. Then take the earth to the led to a ignition live as this will be earth when the ignitons off. I'd recomend taking this from the ciggy lighter

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    No black wire at the ciggy lighter as thats the igniton live

Wire at the radio will be the thick red on the cars wiring which will lead to a red and then is probably swapped to a yellow
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So it will be a big thick redwire at the connector blocks where my radio wires plug in then? Obviouls th cas wire and thanks for quick replys

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh god lol. We get people coming into work asking for this to be done. I've never understood why a flashing LED would make them feel safer at night. Each to their own i suppose.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't mind doing something that clarkey posted, hidden switch that requires switching before ignition starts, sounds like a neat anti-theft :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast