Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Opinions on MkII 1.8 Engine

Hi,

I have been on the lookout for a Mk2 1.9CDTi 150ps Zafira but am struggling to find one within my budget. The garage at the end of my road has just got in a 2007 Design with ridiculously low mileage well within my budget, only problem it is a 1.8 petrol.

What are peoples opinion's of this engine, does it have enough torque to pull the Zaf along? I'm selling my ST170 to make way for this as I'm sick of the fuel bills, road noise, rock hard suspension and averaging 25mpg, can I expect any better from this engine?

On the flip side it will only be doing 6-8k miles per year, so even my local Vauxhall dealer said a petrol would be better (not the one selling this car I add, I test drove a CDTi with them), as the DPF would get clogged with such low mileage on the Diesel? Grrr, I don't know what to do?

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your only doing that sort of mileage why dont you look for a gsi zaffy, it will be quicker than your st, and just as good on fuel as a 1.8, mines doing 30 mpg around town, and i dont drive like a grandad!!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm getting less than 30mpg round town in my 2.2i, and thats driving like a grandad, so **** knows how you're getting 30 in a gsi!? Slightly optimistic don't you think?
    Live in or around Hampshire and need any body repairs or paintwork doing? PM me for more info[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've just got myself a 1.8 elite,the engine is fine,pulls no bother even in 5th,getting 35mpg on mixed driving,really needs the 6th gear on long blasts tho.BTW i was given the same advice as you ref. mileage per year,i do roughly the same 10k tops,& was told to get the petrol engine from 3 different independants
    took it from n.ireland to dublin,holyhead to cardiff,was great,motorway on the way there,a class roads via the Brecons & Snowdonia the way back,the bus was faultless ( & very chuckable on the a roads )

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, not slightly optomistic at all... I have never got less than 28 mpg around town, and thats working it out, not relying on the obc.....Its all about using the torque of the engine, not thrashing it!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never repied on the obc especially as I haven't got one on the zaf. I drive mine using the lower rev range as obviously being 2.2i NA mine has loads of torque below 3.5k but still can't get above about 27-28 mpg around town. My town must be more congested than yours Steve lol!! But then the NA petrols do have the shite short geared F23 G/box which make long journeys bloody uneconomical!
    Live in or around Hampshire and need any body repairs or paintwork doing? PM me for more info[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On the downside, i did only manage to get 32 mpg on a recent run to cornwall and back, only managed 30 mpg going, stuck at 70 mph all the way, on the way back never dropped below 80 mph, occasionally way over that and managed 32 mpg!!!!! work that one out!!!!! lol.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah random! I never get good mpg on long runs as I get bored at 70 and get chronic ankle ache staying in one position. Really need to fit cruise but can't find the blue plug on my car :-(

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got cruise fitted as standard, to be honest its better on fuel when not using it!!!!