Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to connect which connectors when building your first PC?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Where to connect which connectors when building your first PC?

MOBO: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/206153
    GPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232853
    PSU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190751
    OPTICAL: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/221349 & http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151999
    SSD / HDD: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/233258 / http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124228
    CASE: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/207849

Everything put together & time to join up the connectors to the relevant places.
    I take no shame in asking for guidance on this though, when i could end up frying over £1000 worth of hardware!! Better safe than sorry most definitely applies here.

Everything has been put together now. I'm just wanting guidance on what cables go where on the MOBO as i'm not really wanting to fry anything at the prices i've shelled out for this. This is going to be long, and because of this i'll try and lay this post out as easy as possible, so many many thanks to anyone who can help, even if not with it all.

So let's crack on....

The MOBO:

The optical drives:

Now i'm guessing the connection here is... SATA cable [ http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...icturea021.jpg ] plugs into the right hand side connector of both drives (separate cable obviously) and on the left hand connectors, is a SATA connector which comes from the PSU [ ]

Correct?

The SSD & HDD:

Top one being the SSD - same connection setup as the optical drives above?
    Bottom one being HDD - same as above except there seems a 3rd connector for the 8 pins on the far right. This must come from the PSU i guess? But which connector?

The GPU:

Now manual instructions say "connect two 6-pin PCI Express auxillary power connectors coming from the computer power supply to the connectors on the top edge of the GeForce GTX 460 graphics card".
    The 2 supplied cables are:

One end of these cables clearly plugs into the GPU, but the end, which is shown in the above pic, plugs......? (& as said, there's 2 of them) The one that caught my eye was:

However as you can see, that says HDD on it. Yet there's no connector on the actual HDD for this, so i wonder if the lead supplied with the GPU goes to this??

The fan/exhaust at the rear of the case:

The lead which comes from this fan has 2 connectors:

Where do they plug?

The front panel connectors:

Are the following:

Now i'm not sure where the USB connector connects
    I'm thinking maybe the AC97 connector is rendered useless, with...
    ...the HD Audio connector, does this connect to #19 on the MOBO???

Power, reset & LED connectors:

That white thing on the left came with the MOBO. The white thing confuses me & i must be wrong in thinking...
    "Reset SW" (for 2 pins) goes to reset (this leaves ground without anything connected to it)
    "Power SW" (for 2 pins) goes to power (which is only 1 pin, yet the ground is 2)
    "HDD LED" (for 2 pins) goes to HDD LED at the top of the white block (which has 4 strangely spaced out pins)
    leaving "Power LED" to go somewhere i can't see.

On the rear of that white block, it says
    Speaker
    Ground
    Ground
    +5v

PLED -

PLED+
    http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...icturea020.jpg
    So umm, i'm clueless.

The front fan, 200mm i think:

Only 1 connector for this really, but this connector has 2 ends:

Contents of MOBO i'm not sure are going to be useful:

2x SATA 6.0Gb/s cables
    2x SATA 3.0 GB/s cables <----- they look different to the red ones that i've seen, so am not sure if they can be used for the optical or storage drives???
    1x UDMA 133/100/66 cable in the bottom right

1x Buzzer - top right. This actually came with the case??

Connecting PSU to MOBO:

I'm guessing must surely be this cable:

labelled "ATX Main Connector -->" but am not sure where it connects...
    * it has 20 connectors on it, 1 of which is blanked"
    * I "did" think it connected to #1 on the MOBO, however this has 24 pins
    * As it says ATX Main Connector & followed by an arrow marker, there's another connector with an arrow marker which has been cabled tied to it. Does this connect next to it (if so, then which end) making the 24 slots? Or does it go at the top of the MOBO which is also labelled #1 which is for 8 pins, yet 4 have been covered with a cap on my MOBO??

Connectors on the PSU:

There were 2 loads of cabling that'd been velcro-tied. Within the velctro ties were other sections that'd been cable tied..

First lot of velctro-tie:
    * 20 pin ATX Main Connector --> which has a 4pin --> cable tied to it
    * 4pin CPU1 - P4 & a 4pin CPU2 - P8
    * 6pin PCI-E2, which was cable tied to a 2 pin connector. Same applied for a 6pin PCI-E1

Second lot of Velctr-tie:

* 4 of those HDD connectors shown earlier
    * 5 SATA connectors shown earlier
    * 1 4pin FDD connector

& that ladies & gentlemen, is it. Really appreciate any help thrown my way here.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tbh mate if u dont know where the connectors go then you shouldnt be building a pc. Just my opinion but if u aint inserted something correct or not earthed yourself etc, summet could fry anyways.

Im on my phone so im sure someone on a pc can offer guidance.

Hope it goes well.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ignore the 8 pins on the DVD/HDD drive.

The 6 pin for the GFX card is a square 3 up 3 down connector, not a normal straight 4 connector light you have pictured.

For the HDD/SSD/DVD you may need Molex to Sata converters if your PSU doesn't have SATA ready cables.

TBH though i'd get a mate or someone round to help out, lot of info in the thread to reply to it all lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Scott View Post
    Tbh mate if u dont know where the connectors go then you shouldnt be building a pc. Just my opinion but if u aint inserted something correct or not earthed yourself etc, summet could fry anyways.

Im on my phone so im sure someone on a pc can offer guidance.

Hope it goes well.
    Ta for the comment mate, but :

1. i did earth myself
    2. everything has been inserted correct to the best of my knowledge, i just need to cable things up now.
    3. i could go coupling cables up willy nilly where i THINK they should go because someone on the net thinks i shouldn't even bother (knew that reply was coming too btw), but then i think, there's bound to be some helpful folk online that will know the answer & can spare me 5-10mins of their time, which i'd be most grateful for, which would save me the £50 fee for a shop to do it or whatever they charge nowadays (many years ago i paid £40, so assume it's £50+ now).

I know it's a bit of reading & a bit of time, but if i could provide someone a definitive helpful answer then i would do. I wouldn't tell them not to bother, unless they could still cack it up. There's only 1 place these cables can go & someone online will know the answer.

Anywho, onwards & upwards...

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The two leads from the fan. One is the power supply (4 pin Molex) the other is the speed controller, can plug that into the motherboard if you have a port, and then control the fan speed with software. Not essential to plug that in, but does mean you can slow the fan down at night etc to lower the noise of it.

EDIT, it can plug into the CHA port (chassis fan), number 2 on the diagram

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Ignore the 8 pins on the DVD/HDD drive.
    Cheers fella

The 6 pin for the GFX card is a square 3 up 3 down connector, not a normal straight 4 connector light you have pictured.
    Aye that's the one that connects physically TO the GPU. I got that one But the other end is the pic i showed, which is 2x 3pin connectors (with a hole in one end). this would total 4x 3pin connectors as 2 of these were provided.

For the HDD/SSD/DVD you may need Molex to Sata converters if your PSU doesn't have SATA ready cables.
    Well i've 2x optical drives, 2x storage devices & 5x SATA connectors coming from the PSU, so i'd say i'm good?

TBH though i'd get a mate or someone round to help out, lot of info in the thread to reply to it all lol.
    Anyone i did know who could do this does not live in the area anymore.
    Basically i've got 2 options...

* get help online & have someone tell me this goes here, that goes there & do it that way
    Or
    * pay a shop to do it, which at their prices, i don't really want to do, as i know it can be avoided.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Have asked elsewhere as i understand this is a big ask of anyone with their time....

Optical drives: sorted
    storage devices: sorted
    GPU: Sorted
    PSU>MOBO connection: sorted
    Front fan: ?
    Front panel audio/usb etc: ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im not sure what help you need you seem to basically know all about it just not sure of some details. to someone who knows this much, putting the parts together is pretty easy

sorry too tired to be of much help!! you havnt mentioned the processor?? it is most important that the processor fan/cooling is working for avoiding a FRY

what stage are you at now?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post

Front fan: ?
    Front panel audio/usb etc: ?

[/B]
    What are you struggling with?

Front fan just needs a standard 4 pin Molex going into the female end of that adaptor. The reason it has a male end is so you can plug something else into it, so your not losing a connector in effect.

Front panel is easiest to follow the guide. Most Mobo's have a quick reference guide with info about it. IMO the front panel is the hardest part to wire up as it can be fiddly, and not well labelled on some boards. Pretty hard to offer advice about this
    My current board is really well labelled with pos and negative markings as well as colour coded, previous board was almost guess work though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton View Post
    im not sure what help you need you seem to basically know all about it just not sure of some details. to someone who knows this much, putting the parts together is pretty easy

what stage are you at now?
    Just above your post mate. I'm at the fans & the front panel for the audio & USB ports.

I see the "CHA_FAN" which is where i did think one of the fans needed to be plugged, but then there's the molex connector Buckle mentioned (didn't know its name) - this goes? <--- that would then take care of the rear fan.

Front fan i don't know where this plugs

Then there's the connectors for the front panel.

Have shown pics of all of this & a scan of the MOBO layout to help with any advice anyone can give

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast