Thread: Sportex Race Tube.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sportex Race Tube.

Ive seen these mods on ebay for quite cheap, and thinking of teaming it up with my GT3 backbox. I hear they make a louder noise which im not too bothered about but does anyone know of any performance gains to be had? I quite like the idea of saying I have a race tube fitted haha. Thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Anything to make it breath better, should only gain a couple of bhp tho
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to quote the tesco slogan but every little helps!

performance mods can give you more mpg too (but not always i guess) i have derestricted + pipercross + catback + lighter wheels and i got more power, better handling, better sound, more mpg!

studies also suggest that car modifiers are better in bed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers doods! Just slowly getting more and more little mods onto it. Do any of you have the 98-04 mk4? I want to get a new air intake but mine has all sort of attachments to it and I cant find one that will take these same attachments. One of them is the hot air feed from the manifold but I know cold air is better. The other is an electrical component with a wire going behind the block.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveLiverpool View Post
    Cheers doods! Just slowly getting more and more little mods onto it. Do any of you have the 98-04 mk4? I want to get a new air intake but mine has all sort of attachments to it and I cant find one that will take these same attachments. One of them is the hot air feed from the manifold but I know cold air is better. The other is an electrical component with a wire going behind the block.
    sorry not sure what you mean i have a different engine z16xe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nps! I'm not even sure what engine mine is besides that it's a 1.6 8v. I will investigate! Bought the race tube though haha.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can say it made a difference to the performance and sound on my ZR, not sure about the astra but don't see why it wouldn't.

When i had it fitted i used to come down the gears coming up to junctions and lights, letting the revs drop and it would spit and pop like mad. It's all good!! haha
    *** 2003 GSi - DROPPED 40MM - FULL SCORPION SYSTEM -PIPER PANEL FILTER - FORGE DUMP VALVE - FROUNT MOUNT INTERCOOLER - STAGE 2 MAP - VXR TURBO - RUNNING 260BHP ***

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha quality! I've only managed to make my backbox spit once or twice and that was after long motorway journeys. I've only just replaced the standard exhaust system so if anyone is after a middle silencer almost new I will sell it for cheap.

Has anyone put VXR fuel injectors onto the mk4s?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the crazy attachments on the intake must suggest u have the single point injection snail pace X16SZR engine

the bits in question are a flap, thermostat and vacuum lines which upon cold start ups, feed warm exhaust air into the intake and into the filter and thus the throttle body

totally pointless and do feck all for performance - on this engine u want as much cold air as possible

either replace the intake with a vectra c diesel pipe or make your own!

i made a home made intake then led this to an induction kit (home made) with a big cone and some ducting direct to the throttle body - junking all the standard plastics as i went

for most ppl though this is a bit far fetched so all depends what ur ultimate goal is

as for the intake though, just ditch all the standard shite, locate the vac hose that runs from the rear of the resonator (black plastic thing on top of TB) and block off the end *intake end* with a self tapper or bung of some sort - as long as the vacuum hose is plugged, replace the air intake and ur done.

HTH

OH and dont even attempt fitting other injectors!!!! gone are the days when u could just bolt in bigger injectors! Even turbo owners need the engine remapped when fitting VXR injectors

if u want more power, sell up or do as i did, ditch the engine and fit a bigger lump - done

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeahh it is a slow car but it does beat my mates 1.6 16v focus at first until his takes over soon after. I will double check on the engine.

Where would i source a self tapper? Is it just a case of stripping the wire and attaching it on?

I put a veccy c pipe on my mates astra as his is a newer model and he told me he noticed a difference so I NEED one now.

I'm just doing all the cheaper mods first and if I can start getting cheaper insurance I will continue modding to increase the hp. Probably start with piper came and an intercooler. That's all in the future though for now haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast