Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Meh! What is the noise?..MK4 Astra

Hi Guys

Bit of a odd one this. Got Astra G 1.6 8v. Over the weekend it had a service. New petrol filter, plugs, air filter, oil change and filter.

Now the noise is a odd one. when you drive, it will make a odd sound, not constant and no rpm etc is the same, it just happens once maybe during a gear change. It sounds like a stone is being flung off a tyre (obviously there is no stones in the tyres into the wheel arch or engine, hard to tell where. I thought it was clutch but then noticed it when taking my foot off the petrol without putting the clutch in. If i speed up in second then take my foot off around 3.5k rpm is will do it without putting the clutch in. It also only happens around 1st and second gear, the rest there is no noise.

Any ideas? its doing my head in!

thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine does it when u change gear quickly from pull off, but i have no idea what it is lol sorry

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    okay, just been out for a drive. Dont think its clutch/gearbox. Sounds like something is loose (probably plastic) by the sounds of it. cant hear it in higher gears. Think the reason you can hear it in first/second is they are a bit more jerky change in my car and the car is going forward then when you put the clutch in the momentum is lost and something hits something else (lol!)

More detective work tomorrow....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i get this!! been wondering about it lately. describe the sounds... does it sound a bit like a stone in a coke can? i only get this when doing gear changes when im in a ragging about mood, doesnt really happen with low rpm, low acceleration gear changes... i just assumed it was just the gearbox or something

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roarstar View Post
    i get this!! been wondering about it lately. describe the sounds... does it sound a bit like a stone in a coke can? i only get this when doing gear changes when im in a ragging about mood, doesnt really happen with low rpm, low acceleration gear changes... i just assumed it was just the gearbox or something
    this is what i get... when ragging thru gears like pulling onto a busy roundabout or something... tbf its prob nothing to worry about