Thread: 2 head units

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

2 head units

is there anyway of havin 2 head units in my astra? ive got a dvd head unit that i want to connect but i want to keep my sony unit so i can keep my steering controls as it took me ages to get them working.

its probably not possible but has anyone got any ideas on how to do it if its possible?

thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't think its possible tbh.

Most modern head units will have adapters which will allow you to use your steering wheel controls with them anyway, have a look in the AOC mk4 ICE section mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This depends on what you're asking.

If you're asking can I have 2 headunits playing through the same speakers then probably the answer is yes:

you could probably splice the speaker connectors out of each head unit together to connect to the car's internal connectors, however this would mean if you had both on, then it'd play the audio from both.

You could set up an intricate switching method so that the speaker connectors were switched between each head unit as and when you wanted.

So you'd identify the 8 speaker wires inside the car's harness (2 for each speaker) and the respective ones that connect to each headunit and then put them thru a switching panel, or set of switches.

Obviously your steering wheel controls won't work with the dvd head unit as they only connect to one device at a time.

If you're asking can I control 2 different headunits from one set of steering wheel connectors, then the answer is probably no.

Autosparks is probably your man on this one.
    1.9 cdti (120) black ASH
    Wanted: Black VXR Grille!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cheers for the help i only want the dvd player to view dvds and to use the headrest tvs so i dont need the steering controls with the dvd player. so its possible 2 use 2 headunits through the same speakers? what about power?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    I posted a how-to for a wiring loom I made for this kind of setup, and have installed multiple headunits a few times now, mainly where peolpe want DVD units playing through their "main" HU etc as you seem to want.

It's fairly easy to do, your best bet is to connect the RCA outputs on the DVD unit to the Auxiliary inputs/changer control on the Sony HU, and then when you want DVD you just switch the Sony to that source and away you go. When you want radio/CD etc then just turn off the DVD HU and then select appropriate source on the Sony once more
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    thanks m8 ill read the how to and have a go tomorrow

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Always follow Pete's way of doing this. Stephens way if far to complicated with 8 switches needed lol
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason