Thread: 1999 astra g sport X18XE1 fault codes - help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy 1999 astra g sport X18XE1 fault codes - help

Car has not been running right a for a little bit (low idle speed, juddering, cutting out when stopping etc) so first port of call last night was the usual replace the EGR valve and clean the throttle body assembly. I first changed the EGR valve. This seemed to make no difference which leads me to belive the original was functioning ok. So next I remove the air intake hose from the throttle body and find its pretty well Sh*t up so I gave it a quick clean and tried the engine again and viola the idle speed went back to normal and the engine was not trying to stall after revving hard or the when pulling off.

Anyway I then went back to the throttle body to remove the rest of the muck as best I could (did this without taking the throttle body off) then tried the engine once again and now the revs now hold at 1500 rpm in between gear changes and when the revs finally do drop off its holding at 1000 rpm when at idle. So I'm now thinking BOLL**KS

I have checked the vacuum line to the evap canister purge valve and that is fine, I have checked under the butterfly to make sure I had not blocked off the small orifice that is linked to the vacuum line. All other hoses breather etc all appear fine as do all electrical connections.

This morning after thinking it over and checked the TB again I do the paper-clip test and EML code p0500 comes up so I check here and I have read that its either
    A) vehicle speed sensor malfunction (my TC and ABS light is on - I know about this and need to change the N/S/F hub as speedo is not working)
    B) idle speed stepper motor/idle air regulator

Sorry for the lengthy post but this is driving me mad and I just want it running right again, I have enough jobs to do on it without the engine crapping out on me. So (ignoring the ABS fault) any thoughts/second opinions as why my engine has a whim of its own and where to go from here please?

Thanks
    Astra G Sport 1.8 16v in Star Silver

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bump

Anybody?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    remove the TB fully - doesnt take long at all - even with the cable throttle

did one in about 10mins the other week

soak it in petrol and with a small brush like a toothbrush give it a damn good cleaning, soak a cloth in petrol and stuff it down the inlet manifold and clean any carbon deposits u can

give everything the once over a and refit

see how u get on

the idle air speed is regulated by an internal motor situated inside the TB itself on that model so the best u can do is clean it to within an inch of its life as mentioned above

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply, will give it another go and see what happens. Other then that I think it may be a new throttle body...