Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question External harddrive for laptop

Hey,

I'm thinking about buying an external harddrive to put all my video/music/pictures on to clear some space from my laptop - will this 'speed up' my laptop as there are less files on it?

Also, if i put all the files i want to keep onto an external harddrive, and wipe everything off my laptop and start again will this help?

I don't want any major performance enhancements, its just laptops about 2 years old now and is getting slower lol - just wondered if this will help!

I've got a Samsung R510 - Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, harddrive hold about 70GB each - Running Vista 32 bit.

Any help will be appreciated as i'm just guessing clearing large quantities of filies off the laptop harddrives will help but i'm not sure

Regards,

Foz.
    1.4 16v Mk4, Kings Blue
    Tinted lights, de-badged, Calibra 15" alloys, Heko Wind Deflectors

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not really gonna help unless you're very low on apace, a defrag of the hard drive would have the same effect... google speed up vista, you'll find lots of results along the lines of 10 ways to speed up vista, they should help... on the flipside its always good to have a backup, I lost 5 years worth of photos and videos once, gutwrenching it was, always keep 2 copies now...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I do only have about 4GB free on my C drive now, and i used my D drive to store my music and video lol.

I was under the impression that the more 'crap' on a laptop then the slower they get? Is that just a lie? lol.

Also, i can imagine it would be pretty horrid to lose photos and videos - i've got loads =/ and i will also search Google.

Thanks again

Foz
    1.4 16v Mk4, Kings Blue
    Tinted lights, de-badged, Calibra 15" alloys, Heko Wind Deflectors

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    4gb would be somewhat low for the hard drive that has the operating system on because the system generates swapfiles which use up loads of space, if there isnt enough free it cant create it meaning most of your programs need to run in memory or slower...

The premise for a fuller hard drive being slower than an empty one is valid, the best way of describing it was given to my by one of my old tutors when I was studying to be a computer engineer...

Think of a HDD as a book, lots of information on all the pages and an index/contents page...

If its full (i.e. writing on all the pages) then even with a contents page its still gonna take a few moments more to find the page you want...

A fragmented hard drive is like a book where all the page numbers are out of order, the info is there and you can find it but it takes even longer to get to what you want so when you defragment (or put the pages in number order) it suddenly gets quicker as you can now skip to the page you want quite quickly, not as quick as an empty drive (book) but pretty damn quick...

The above isnt quite technically accurate but it gives you a laymans idea of how drive structuring works...

In reality you do have a contents page of sorts which stores the filesystem data, the rest of the drive stores the data itself, when it is fragmented you may find that different pars of the same file are stored in lots of different parts of the drives magnetic surface, the defragmenting process clusters these fragments together so the drive doesnt need to search several different sectors to find one piece of data, hence defragging speeds up the system as the drive doesnt need to physically move to different areas of the disk to read one bit of info...

Again thats dumbed down a bit but I don't wanna put everyone (inc myself) to sleep...

I'd say if you only have 4gb free on your main drive then you want to do a few things:

1. Move any pix, videos, games, etc to your storage drive and run them from there.

2. If after this you have less than 15% of your main drives total space left then either wipe and re-install your o/s (which may just be a temporary fix) or get a bigger HDD.

70gb is plenty for vista and a few programs so replacing the HDD shouldnt really be necessary, I for example use my vista pc running the OS and associated files etc on a 80gb SSD with a 250gb SATA for games etc and I also have a 500gb backup external drive which skims each of the other two each week to backup my data...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...