Thread: Really need help........please guys major problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Really need help........please guys major problem

Firstly i apologise for the caps on the title.

I have a Astra Mk4 2.0 Sri, 2000 W ref, done near on 88k. I have a problem which i dont have a clue what it can be and really want some help on this issue.

When car hasnt been started for a day or even say 3-4 hours and engine is cold when it starts there is a noise coming from the area around air filter, cam, timing belt cover.

Decription of noise:
    best way to decribe it is if you tap key quickly on your keyboard. imagine that but it increases the speed of the tapping according the the rev's of the engine.

the noise starts when engine is cold but once engine has warmed up after even afew miles the noise has gone.

Ive had the rocker cover off to see if anything is loose all seems fine, checked fluid levels.
    Cambelt and Aux belt and water pump changed december just gone.
    Even had the Aux belt off and started engine the noise is still there which rules a few things out.

Ive done compression test on the engine i belive they were 1.190 2. 180 3.180 4.180 all seems ok.

I really am struggling with this problem please if any one can help i would greatly appreciate it even if your not sure but feel its worth checking, many thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    the most likely cause of a noise like that is one of the hydraulic tappets is a bit lazy. This isn't a problem in the short term, apart from the annoyance.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    many many thanks for the input matey greatly appreciated, whats the problem like to resolve i.e replace the tappet, also when you remove the air filter the engine sounds really throaty would the dodgy tappets cause this problem

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    no the engine will sound like that with no airfilter etc! thats normal.

tappets aint too bad to change depending on what engine you have and how competant you are with a socket set! id just live with it for now if it aint that bad
    1.6 8 valve, 5 door, soon to be a 5 studded let with crusty arches

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines sounds the same on a cold start untill the oil warms up

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the help im guessing that its nothing really major was worried incase it was something serious, ne guides on how to change tappets. thanks to all that have helped really put my mind at ease

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you checked the oil level, what oil do you use and when was it last changed?
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrizza2.0sri View Post
    Firstly i apologise for the caps on the title.

I have a Astra Mk4 2.0 Sri, 2000 W ref, done near on 88k. I have a problem which i dont have a clue what it can be and really want some help on this issue.

When car hasnt been started for a day or even say 3-4 hours and engine is cold when it starts there is a noise coming from the area around air filter, cam, timing belt cover.

Decription of noise:
    best way to decribe it is if you tap key quickly on your keyboard. imagine that but it increases the speed of the tapping according the the rev's of the engine.

the noise starts when engine is cold but once engine has warmed up after even afew miles the noise has gone.

Ive had the rocker cover off to see if anything is loose all seems fine, checked fluid levels.
    Cambelt and Aux belt and water pump changed december just gone.
    Even had the Aux belt off and started engine the noise is still there which rules a few things out.

Ive done compression test on the engine i belive they were 1.190 2. 180 3.180 4.180 all seems ok.

I really am struggling with this problem please if any one can help i would greatly appreciate it even if your not sure but feel its worth checking, many thanks
    have you checked the exhaust manifold for a crack as this could be noise you are hearing

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As already mentioned probably a hydraulic tappet, how long does the noise last before it disappears, is it due an oil change.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just use standard oil, its in the shed at the min can tell you exactly what oil i use 2mz, the noise goes after only a few mile once the engine reaches around 70-80 degrees

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast