Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Power Steering failure MK4

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    Steve_T's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Power Steering failure MK4

    Hi,

    Firstly my name is Steve and i have just joined today so please forgive me if i have not submitted this in the correct place/format.

    I see the PAS seems to be a common problem on here and i have tried to look at existing questions to try and solve my issue but i cant see a question that covers all my symptoms. So i am hoping someone can help.

    I have a S reg Mk 4 Astra with a electric PAS pump, i have checked the fuse under the bonnet and also the fuse in the main box they are both ok. I have no warning likes on the dash at all but below is what happens:

    When i go out to the car first thing in the morning 9 out of 10 times the power steering works fine.
    However if i stop the engine and start it again after a short time eg buy petrol etc, the power steering does not work. It takes upto 10 times sometimes for the PAS to kick in after starting and stopping the car continuously.
    It has never cut out while i have been driving so it seems to imply the alternator is ok (i think).

    I have been to a garage and the mechanic says there is no leaks and the motor seems fine and he thinks it is an electrical issue????

    Can anyone shine any light onto this problem?

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    ollieastra's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have similar problem, happens very very very rarely and only for like 30secs. but would be intresting to find out what it is.
    MK4 SXI 1.6

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    Steve_T's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollieastra View Post
    i have similar problem, happens very very very rarely and only for like 30secs. but would be intresting to find out what it is.
    Well if i get any help or suggestions i will let you know but from looking at the response i think it may just be a case of replace the cheapest and work your way up to the PAS motor.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    KevT.'s Avatar
    Yorkshire RO
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    i would get the altonator checked out first as that is what powers the pas pump, check the wiring to the pump and if not then its the pump/rack

    AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft


  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    BMAstra's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,588
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get the alternator and battery checked

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    Steve_T's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sri_kev View Post
    i would get the altonator checked out first as that is what powers the pas pump, check the wiring to the pump and if not then its the pump/rack
    SRI_Kev,
    thanks for the feedback i will take a trip down Halfords tomorrow and get them tested as it seems the easier option. Then have a look at the wiring at the weekend.

    Thanks again

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Steve_T's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMAstra View Post
    get the alternator and battery checked
    BMAstra,
    thanks for the feedback i am getting them tested tomorrow and i hope it is one of them as the pump will be more to replace. The pump on my car is the older TRW type which from looking at this forum has a history of failing.

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    Brian's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11,482
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    In the meantime Steve, have a look for any leaks in the system, and
    on start up try to put your steering on full lock one way and another way, "slowly"
    This bleeds the hydraulic s/pump,
    Have you checked the pump resovior level? it may need a top up with the correct fluid specific to your car (usually red but maybe green vx dealers will know)
    If your car starts up well, with a lot of instant power from the battery, and your halfrauds testing proves to be good
    Then and only then you can suspect the hydraulic pump,

    Then come to me i have a pump suited, also a s/wrack

    One has to remove the subframe to fit them, its not too difficult a job but at garage prices is pricey

    i wish you luck

    p

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    Steve_T's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    In the meantime Steve, have a look for any leaks in the system, and
    on start up try to put your steering on full lock one way and another way, "slowly"
    This bleeds the hydraulic s/pump,
    Have you checked the pump resovior level? it may need a top up with the correct fluid specific to your car (usually red but maybe green vx dealers will know)
    If your car starts up well, with a lot of instant power from the battery, and your halfrauds testing proves to be good
    Then and only then you can suspect the hydraulic pump,

    Then come to me i have a pump suited, also a s/wrack

    One has to remove the subframe to fit them, its not too difficult a job but at garage prices is pricey

    i wish you luck

    p
    Hi Paula,
    I got them both tested today and was told they was within range, i will be checking the wiring this weekend.
    In regard to the pump you have is it the earlier type (TRW Generation 1)?

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Brian's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11,482
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    No its trw gen 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Power Steering Failure
    By Rdscott in forum Electrical
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 13:18
  2. Power steering failure
    By flipr141 in forum NA Engines (Non-turbo petrol) inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-03-2013, 23:30
  3. HELP - Power Steering failure
    By pbsmith in forum Electrical
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 18:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •