Thread: SAT NAV CONSOLE HELP (ignition)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SAT NAV CONSOLE HELP (ignition)

Finally recieved my Sat nav console after 4months, and i now want to wire my tom tom go 520 to the ignition accept i'm a complete novice when it comes tot the electrical side of things! If i do hardwire my tom tom to the igniton, will it turn on and off with the ignition?

I looked at an old thread "http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...ghlight=satnav" but there was little info, please help!~!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    With your tom tom plugged into the ciggy lighter now, dows it switch on when you turn the ignition on? How about when you turn it off?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no it doesn't turn on when plugged to the ciggy lighter, it only charges the tom tom. i know there is a feature to for it to automatically turn on when power is lost from another source

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could add a switch like I did on mine, check through my posts you should find it...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might be a stupid question..
    but where do you get these console conversions that fit a screen like this?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme647 View Post
    Could add a switch like I did on mine, check through my posts you should find it...
    how would add switch (wire ) to my tom tom? if i cant use my tom tom i would like to get the sat nav (windows c.e) that you have so i could use tom tom software (where to get it?), whats it called? Its an ace mod!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeh View Post
    might be a stupid question..
    but where do you get these console conversions that fit a screen like this?
    if you're talking about the satnav console-i ordered direct from vauxhall "Matt Chrome Sat Nav Centre console. Part no: 13117931"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With regards to the satnav units I used do an ebay search and select worldwide results, look for the terms GPS MP4 together and you'll find loads of results from china, an example is linked below which is almost identical to the one I installed, however I found the 4.3" screen ones to be a bit easier as they need less adjustment to the aperture on the console which is an absolute arse to sand straight:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-0-SLIM-GPS-C...pt=GPS_Devices

Oh and on a final note look for one with a flat face like the one linked above, the rounded face ones make it too difficult to get a nice flat flush fit to the back of the console... See below for an example of what to avoid based on this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-0-GPS-Naviga...efaultDomain_0

On a final note, don't get less than a 4.3" as it won't be big enough to cover the whole aperture, and dont pay more than 40 quid for a 4.3" or 45 quid for a 5" as there are buy it nows for less than those prices if you look... Anything above a 5" will be a tight fit without having to cut away a lot of material, and a 7" will not fit...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deydey View Post
    how would add switch (wire ) to my tom tom? if i cant use my tom tom i would like to get the sat nav (windows c.e) that you have so i could use tom tom software (where to get it?), whats it called? Its an ace mod!
    Oh and switch wise, I opened up the satnav, removed the button that depresses the microswitch and soldered wires either side of the switch so that when shorted it activates the switch on the unit, then put the satnav back together with the wires hanging out the hole where the button used to be and then add a switch... job done...

This is the only pic I have showing the wires, albeit with the unit closed and them just hanging there but you can probably get the jist... (n.b. the PP3 battery connector just happened to be an easy way to seperate the two sides of the circuit, the other side is another one connected to the switch itself...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast