Thread: 1.9 CDTi 150 Alternator

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

1.9 CDTi 150 Alternator

What a day.......Ive been working in Sunderland all week & car has run like a dream as usual. I started it up to set off home & the battery light came on so I turned engine off & re-started & hey presto no light. I thought all was well and it was just a glitch but wipers seemed to be labouring a bit on motorway but not drastically. When I got near home (about 145 mile journey) the bread knife wanted some ale for tonight so I stopped off to get some & the car wouldnt start again. Battery was that dead it wouldnt even turn over - just the starter motor clicking. Anyway got a jump start off some lads digging the roads up & that got me to within 5 miles of home but the battery light was constantly on, power steering had gone, all lights were showing on dash, seatbelt bong was going then dashboard completely failed.........2 mins later car chugged to a stop in a bit of a bottle neck in the road.
    Recovery truck turned up within 30mins but he had no jump leads so couldnt even wind the window up He didnt usually come out to breakdowns he said so didnt know how to operate the controls to lower the back off the truck, the winch was all tangled etc oh and it absolutely pissed it down so I was soaked to skin & now I got a wet seat too through the open window. Not good after a 60+hour week.

I reckon its the alternator. Has anyone else had this & does this sound like a familiar story??

Car is a 56 reg 150bhp with 80k miles and has never let me down til now. I looked at alternators on Eurocarparts & they have a few in stock so will be able to get my mate to fit it in time for Monday. They have a Denso 1 that is 140amp output. Will this be ok??

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...1a6909252&ALTR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    How the feck do you get the alternator out & new 1 back in again?? I have gone through all the swear words under the sun at least twice now. Tried getting it out of top & bottom but no joy. I assume the fuel filter has to come off but I cant see how you remove this. Can anyone help??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you sure its the alternator and not a bad earth causing your problem, charge the battery up and take a jump lead from bat neg to a good earhing point on the engine, if you start find the broken earth lead.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes i had this on my 56 sri 150. it happened as soon as i arived on holiday at centre parcs. i had warranty so car got recovered back home and was repaired and waiting for my when i returned. alternators appear to be common failures on these. hope you get it sorted mate
    Mick

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What car is it you have?

If its a Zafira you will need to remove the scuttle panel (About 6 bolts)
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Lee GSi - its a 1.9 CDTI 150
    I got the alternator out by removing the wipers & panel under screen to access the bolts to remove the fuel filter........who the f designed this???

The new alternator I managed to get hold of doesnt have a pulley on it & I cant get pulley off the old 1 cos it needs some special tool. Looks like I not going to work tomorrow

Any ideas apart from taking both alternators to a garage & have them do it??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I knew what engine you had but not what car it was in.

Can you not hold the pulley and use a socket?
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...