Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

55 reg 1.7 CDTI van problems

Hi and thanks for reading,

Have recently had a pierced hose which wasn't noticed for a while, the van stalled outside the petrol station. I filled up with water, patched the hose and got home where it was cut short and refitted and seems ok now.

The heater gauge inside had shown nothing wrong, the only other symptom was a very occasional "trip" when driving along a dual carriageway... i say trip because i cant think of any other way to describe it..

It just seemed to have no power for a fraction of a second and I'm thinking WTF was that but by then its carried on as normal.

So that has happened a couple of times since, but yesterday while waiting in traffic (coolant levels all normal now) the engine just stopped.

It didnt cough and splutter, just stopped. Dash lights showing but not the EML.

It turned over but wouldnt fire, after a few minutes negotiating with traffic to get it off the 1-way system (how popular was I?) it turned over and fired but stopped when i blipped the throttle and refused to start again.

Called the RAC but while waiting the 2 hours I started the engine and it ran fine for 45 minutes idleing and with the occasional thriottle blip. Then I drove it home followed by Mr RAC.

Where do i begin to get this fixed ?

Also should Mr RAC have hooked up a computer to it and tried to see what was wrong ?

Any ideas folks ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi had same fault with my 53 plate van 1.7 cdti last year, a mate checked it out and found to be crank sensor, replaced with new vaux part and all ok,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mate thanks for the reply.

It's been in the shop today - they did a diagnositcs and got a code which blamed the crank sensor, have replaced it then taken it for a joyride.

I believe they haven't had a problem with it during this so im collecting it tomorrow morning and leaving ~£150 there.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its been no problem today so it looks like it is fixed, anyone else with these kind of symptoms try swapping the drive shaft sensor !