Thread: Loose steering, car suddenly pulls left/right

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Loose steering, car suddenly pulls left/right

hey guys, i need some input regarding a steering problem that i have. when i drive straight and hold the steering wheel steadily, there are times when the car will drive straight then suddenly pull slightly to the left or right... not by too much, but just slightly enough that i can correct it by countersteering. it happens while driving at any speed. the steering wheel also feels looser... or maybe its just me. definitely getting the pulling to one side every now and then though.... i double checked the bolts and they are all super tight

this has appeared since i recently fitted some wolfrace 17" pro sprints. they have 2 pirelli tyres, 1 nankang or something and another brand. 3 of them are directional, pointing the right way, and one is generic. there are some weights inside the alloys? do these all need to be in the same place? or does that not matter?

any help will be appreciated !!!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Which tyres have you got where? You shouldn't have a mix of directional and non directional tyres

The weights are to balance out imperfections in the wheel + tyre. You won't ever need to touch them, only a tyre fitter will move them after the wheel has been on a balancing machine. That wouldn't cause the problem you have though, unbalanced wheels cause vibrations.

What size are the tyres, and width + offset of the wheels?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Which tyres have you got where? You shouldn't have a mix of directional and non directional tyres

The weights are to balance out imperfections in the wheel + tyre. You won't ever need to touch them, only a tyre fitter will move them after the wheel has been on a balancing machine. That wouldn't cause the problem you have though, unbalanced wheels cause vibrations.

What size are the tyres, and width + offset of the wheels?
    to add, if you have put on these wheels with a wider tyre than what was standard on the car, eg 185/64/14 off and 215/40/17s on, then you'll find a complete change of handling, the car may track to the road, camber, ruts etc.
    dont touch balance weights though, and put the pirellis on the front for better handling, or alternatively stick the crap ones on the front, wheelspin absolutely everywhere to wear them out and get yourself another 2 pirelli to match.
    Mr Tickle was very excited about marrying Tess...

Tess wasn't too sure of her new name

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like tramlining because new alloys. Wouldn't worry bout it.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers guys

the old wheels were 185/60's and the new ones are 205/40's

i did instinctively put the pirellis at the front!

so i really have nothing to worry about?? this isn't anything to do with my tracking or anything like that??

Quote Originally Posted by hudson s View Post
    wheelspin absolutely everywhere to wear them out and get yourself another 2 pirelli to match.
    love this idea

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Get the tracking checked just to make sure, it shouldn't drive as you say, that's not right.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to but in on your thread i have also had similar problems with mine since fitting i also get a bit of vibration through the steering wheel at about 60mph all my tires are brand new but i take it that they could have been incorrectly balanced and that might cause my wobble?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bad balancing and/or not using spigot rings when you need them can both cause steering vibration, probably amongst other less common issues.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If there was an issue with the car ie tracking etc. Surely it would just pull in one direction and not both? Hence me thinking its just tramlining?
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If both wheels are not tracked right then it'll be really wierd - when I had new TRE's fitted a few years back the fitting garage didn't set the tracking, driving it a little way up the road was very very strange, car was driving all over the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast