Thread: Harry Astra's progress

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Harry Astra's progress

i guess i really should do an autobiography as there has been much done to harry since having him,
    being a vauxhall follower and owning nothing but vaux the time had come either to spend a load of cash on my beloved cav (my girl as she was known, i cried when i left her..95k, and was in good nick for being 16 yrs old (she had cost me a grand sum of £250 as was a cat c), but just got bored, 7 years of owning her so it was do her up or get another parts were getting thin on the ground, and after seeing harry well i guess he caught my eye, so after much humming and hawing it was a toss up between an audi A4 or an astra sri, and being more clued up on vauxhall, it was only natural i went for harry

the very first pictures of harry taken a couple of days after i got him, i wasnt planning on doing serious mods to him, as i do like the way he's set up so it was a case of doing silly wee bits just to stamp some individuality on him...i had put black tape on top of headlights by this point (as i wanted to see if i liked the idea of black, instead of plain old boring headlight, as the first thing that struck my was my god he is a bit silver on the front end) and had decided the standard grille had to go...

there was so many idea's floating around, where to start, what to aim for...that it was a case of i thought id start with bits off my 'old girl' the cavalier..so the gear knob was altered

next was just sheer luck and looking in the right place at the right time, a stainless steel exhaust came up and as it was needed as the standard gm exhaust had died......harry's nice new shiny exhaust...

exhaust was a bit squint at this point so needed better rubbers etc and just wasnt hanging right this was sorted out a couple of days later

next was the grille.....and as i didnt want to go irmscher, as it had been done so many times around here, opel it was

next was the mudflaps, more bits from my old girl..

next was spraying the lower grille silver, as when it was black, couldnt really be seen, well thats what i thought anyway

insignia waterjets were done next..and couldnt believe how much of a difference they made

during all this, harry's rocker cover had been taken off as it wasnt very nice, and having a vauxhall badge on it wasnt inkeeping with the direction i was heading with harry, i had never worked with car paint before so was big learning curve for me, so after a botch up the first attempt, it was rubbed down, and went back to the drawing board with what i wanted to do...whilst that was going on..his engine got cleaned up..tfr is brilliant stuff, spray it leave for 5 mins and rinse off..result

the door strips got colour coded, now these were the original ones, with the sri badge inlaid into door strips, i wasnt impressed with it, so built it up and did until i found newer ones without rectangle badge..

then came his first service under my care, the biggie, cambelt etc, until that was done, i was always cautious as i had no service history with him..now i could sleep better he was done

his engine cover finally got finished courtesy of a very nice warm day and the greenhouse lol

and after joining up here, so much info from other members about astra's and everyone was friendly and helpful i became a full member as the £15 joining fee really was worth its weight in gold
    harry got his first claying after reading up about it on here..and couldnt believe the difference on his bodywork afterwards..

then it was colour coded eyebrows, and i wasnt sure whether i liked them or not, but stuck with them for over a month, but

they didnt last long, as i didnt really like them!

rocker cover looked daft done on its own so having a spare half an hour one afternoon i sprayed the relay and fuse box to tie in with rocker cover..then as that was going an idea popped into my head...battery cover, what can i do thats different?
    thats where zebastra came in handy, as he is usually really good with helping getting my ideas into motion..so the battery cover was born one very wet saturday afternoon, and started life as a stainless steel ducting pipe

then the brake calipers were painted, i dont think i need to put that up as you all know what they look like,

whilst i was waiting on my door pins coming back from the engravers, my opel centre cap badges arrived, that took a bit of doing as the original vauxhall griffin ones were stuck on, should say welded on really, and what really made me sigh was the fact that there was retaining holes for badges,so was no need to stick them on, but heyho it mad eit easier to fit the opel ones once the caps were cleaned up..

and after tracking down the proper rear badge for harrys rear, with locating pins this was put on

and the steering wheel badge..i was having kittens trying to get this off, but some industrial strength thread soon fixed that

and the chrome rings around the dials were fitted, but i wasnt sure about them, too bling maybe

then the dials were fitted and gave me a bit of a headache, then in stepped zebastra to save the day and his sideways thinking..harry now had a ford part to help make these work

then the vectra armrest was fitted, now i had somewhere to lean my elbow and the kids to put their sweeties in lol

then finally got my hands on the door strips i was after, and they were colour coded, the greenhouse was becoming very very handy

then the opc badges came, reason i went opc was i just liked the style of opc and thanks to german ebay the badges arrived a few days after i bought them,

along with another badge for my steering wheel..which was inlaid at a later date with the help from the trusty dremel

then after yet another looky on here, i decided to do the headlights, so in the oven they went, and few hours later this was how harrys eyes looked

now at this point i thought i really must slow down as im going to run out of things to do shortly, but a couple of days later up popped yet another job, so thanks to a zafira the interior light was changed..much better than standard

then i got fed up so this was done next and is still work in progress as they say...as when i jump into harry it shouts at me Bloooooo the gear gator and handbrake gator was changed as the usual happened, they start wearing so they had to go blue, and thanks to a couple of members on here, the gauge fascia was got and a chrome handbrake handle

and as the bling rings were now in zebastra, i had swapped dial rings, which meant getting my very own dremel out (a present from zebastra, as i was pinching his more than i should lol) and grinding the matt silver rings off zeb's dash, and got them painted

then the obvious, christmas came early, an opc grille came for harry and that finished the opc saga for now...

so thats it really so far...but harry is far from finished, as there is always something on the cards...
    in the words of colin mcrae..
    'if in doubt, flat out' ...my hero
    has a plan..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    was out with the grinder last night as the gauge fascia had annoyed me from day that i got it, not sitting in the way i wanted, and could see in top of the gauges, due to the stepped angle the fascia sat at, and needed it to blend in a bit for part of the 'plan' yet another wee job that needed doing..also had to get the display sorted out, as it looked too black up there and needed broken up, will look better once the man about the dug has finished with the next part of my plan

has a plan..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and of course the aoc tax disc holder had to be put in

has a plan..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its been a while and having done the odd bit at the back end of last year, its nearly that time again to get cracking so an update..

this is a rough idea of where i am going

latest aquisition the shiny brace and had to mod relay box to make it fit, which its not the best picture, but you get the idea

colour coded dials done, which are homemade, took a good few hours, but am not 100% with it yet, and havent decided if this is going to be permanent

ashtray gone as i have armrest, made way for vac gauge, and parrot

and following harry's theme, mini irn bru can, and sprayed pen drive arden blue too, (i was bored and had nothing to do)
    next on the list is to get tc module etc and get it fitted, few wee bits and pieces and do more to engine bay ie hoses, and more painting
    has a plan..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    since my last bit been a wee bit more tweaking done i'll let the pictures do the talking.

blue hoses

centre console changed again vdo gauges and vac gauge all match heater controls painted

how the dash looks

petrol pump gone..irn bru more suited for obvious reasons

and of course this

but this really tickled me, my plan and it works brilliantly

has a plan..