Thread: Braking vibration

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Braking vibration

Hi everyone, ok I know you will say to search but i have and have read what i could find. Just want to get some opinions as where to go from here;

Had discs, pads and rh caliper replaced about 2 months ago. The caliper had to go as its dust deal had slpit and the piston had rusted and seized. They said the other side was fine. I also had the wheels balanced and aligned aroudn this time too.

Now when i drive, seems to be getting worse as i didnt notice it initially after they did it, i get vibration in the steering at speeds above about 65-70. There is also a spot at about 83 where it seems to diminish from the strong vibration but is still obviously there.

When i brake i get a strong vibration through the wheel and pedal, it gets stronger the harder i brake. There is no, or almost none, vibration when accelerating or coasting at speeds under the mentioned 65ish.

The car has done 59k miles but i believe it wasnt treated the best before i got it. I changed the tires around and the vibration is still there, although im not sure whether or not its at the same level.

From reading threads on here im lead to believe it could be either warped discs, buckled wheels, tie rod ends, mishaped tyres or even bad shocks.

Anyone have any input and suggestions so i dint get the costly run around from the mecahnics?

many thanks

Alex

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone? bump

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    sounds highly possible that the front discs have warped, seen this before especially with cheaper ones

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had this mate. front discs warped with in short time and to be honest i got cheap ones. So new ones are on the way for me!

Thats the only thing it could be i think. If wheels are buckled it would do it whole time. Shocks would be more likely to do this on the rear. hope this helps mate
    "\....Chianti Ash ..../"

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    okay thanks for your reply.

got it looked at where i had the brakes done. the caliper that they didnt replace as they said was ok, was working but really hard to move and therefore had warped the disc.

had all the discs and pads replaced under warranty, but cost me for a new caliper, and i got new braided brake lines at the same time.

thanks for the help.
    Alex

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just out of interest how was it hard to move? on the sliders?

Any difference with the new lines?

Ash
    "\....Chianti Ash ..../"