Thread: And a clutch will last---------how long?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And a clutch will last---------how long?

How many miles/klms could a clutch be reasonably expected to last in an ASTRA SRi with a 2.2 Z22SE motor taken as a given that that the car is not flogged and the driving is a 30% highway 70% city mix with a low number of hills component ? ---------and of course that the driver is human .

The reason I ask is that I am seriuosly considering buying an MY03 one of the above and it has 100000 Klms (about 65000 miles) on it and the cost of a clutch replacement in this vehicle in Australia is close to AUS$2000.00 that'd be around GBP1150 and whilst the clutch appears good I have to ask , hmm but for how long ?

I note that this vehicle is only worth between AUS$5000 and AUS$7000 or around GBP2800 to GBP4000 pounds to the trade in Australia.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey mate,
    clutch in my 2.2 is still perfect with 210 000km's on the clock.
    it has a hard life as well but does a lot of hwy km's
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - Star light roof lining - 888 wheels - lowered - ice - exhaust - quite a few other little things.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guy 27 View Post
    Hey mate,
    clutch in my 2.2 is still perfect with 210 000km's on the clock.
    it has a hard life as well but does a lot of hwy km's
    Thanks mate, I'll probably hop up and see the car and see how I go, I'm also thinking of maybe a WRX , I've had a couple of them and they're a hoot but the running costs can be a bit up there.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine lasted 90k miles and was starting to slip when i changed it.
    If your doing lots of highway miles, it could do 50% more as you use it very little
    Astra Z22SE 200.8 Bhp

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2198CC View Post
    Mine lasted 90k miles and was starting to slip when i changed it.
    If your doing lots of highway miles, it could do 50% more as you use it very little
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARRGH 90k------pheww----miles I'm used to thinking in kilometers, that'd be around, ah hem, 144840.96 km.

Thanks for that.

Anyone else care to throw in a line ?? please.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    mine's still as good as ever with the Zaf on 110000 miles, which I think in your crazy way of turning reasonable figures into stupidly high numbers is about 4,733,000,271km. Or something like that anyway.

If the car looks like its been looked after well and not thrashed, then chances are it'll be fine. As part of the test drive get the seller to drive it for a bit with you watching from the passenger seat, that way you will see how he/she treats gearchanges and whether they're hard on the clutch at all.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    mine's still as good as ever with the Zaf on 110000 miles, which I think in your crazy way of turning reasonable figures into stupidly high numbers is about 4,733,000,271km. Or something like that anyway.

If the car looks like its been looked after well and not thrashed, then chances are it'll be fine. As part of the test drive get the seller to drive it for a bit with you watching from the passenger seat, that way you will see how he/she treats gearchanges and whether they're hard on the clutch at all.
    Thanks for the reply.most helpfull , I'll have to wing it with the car as the owner is in the US and his "I done no nuffink abardit" father in law is handling the sale , friken great , if it gets to hard I'll just look elsewhere.

I can't take any credit for the figure manipulation and I can't help it if the damned Australians had the sense to go metric , here are fathers little helpers for the confused.

http://www.metric-conversions.org/cg...2&from=11&to=3

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Am...rom=USD&To=AUD

110000 miles = 177027.84 km Great innit

I'm supposing the continentals have to have a measuring system to that makes some things look good.

Just as an asside I phoned 5 Holden dealers (the clowns who sell the Astra in Australia) to talk to thier service or workshop people about said clutch life and got to talk to , well you've probbly guessed how many "service" people I actualy got to talk to out of 5 large dealerships ,--yup thats right--none.

Frakin stagering

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Go for a test drive, stick it in 4th at 30mph (or however many k in 4th) and floor it. If its going to be slipping any time, it will be then. Also, how high is the biting point? If it is somewhere near the headrest, its probably worn.

As above though, unless its been driven by some moron who balances the car on the clutch at the lights etc, you will be fine.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IainL View Post
    Go for a test drive, stick it in 4th at 30mph (or however many k in 4th) and floor it. If its going to be slipping any time, it will be then. Also, how high is the biting point? If it is somewhere near the headrest, its probably worn.

As above though, unless its been driven by some moron who balances the car on the clutch at the lights etc, you will be fine.
    Thanks for that , when the clutch is worn is the take up point higher or lower in relation to the floor ?
    Sorry to be a thicky here but my last few cars have all indicated a worn clutch when the take up point has been close to the floor.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its only an indication, but it could also mean that the clutch slave cylinder is worn.

You're right too, my old Corsa's biting point was just about at the radiator. It was only in 40,000 miles at the time. The spring plate had broken:-(

I''d just take it for a drive. If you can select all gears easily, theres no judder on take-off, it doesnt slip, and the biting point is somewhere reasonable, then I'd say it would be fine.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I