Thread: Women in the motor trade.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Women in the motor trade.

Ladies and Gents, I am looking for your points of view please, preferably the sensible kind!

Something that has come up a lot at work lately has been the subject of women in the motor trade and how few there are. I'm not referring to jobs such as receptionists, we're talking proper workshop floor staff.

For the Ladies.....
    There have been lots of issues raised such as, are most women not interested in working with vehicles? Are there particular roles that are not really suited to women? And would they be put off by working in a predominantly male environment?

Is there a job you would be particular interested in doing and would there be anything that would put you off?

For the guys.....

How do you feel about women in the trade? Would you have as much confidence in a female mechanic/sprayer/MOT tester as you would a male? Do you feel that there are roles that are not suitable for women and if you are in the motor trade, how would you feel about having female colleagues?

Discuss please!
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As long as they know what they are on with, it's no bother to me.

Besides in most male dominated professions women 'need' to try twice as hard to be considered half as good.. which means they are usually better than their presumable better male counterparts.

I've worked in supposedly male dominated industries (not motor trade) and there is always a mix of those that are good and those that are shit at their jobs.. there in no gender distinction in being good at what you do IMO

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a customer to the motor trade I don't have any issue with women working on my cars as long as they know what they are talking about and can perform the job, the same goes for a male doing the job. I am not a mechanic and know very little about mechanic but it doesn't fill me with confidence when the mechanic tells me he will change the spark plugs for the service....when its a diesel, and when I point out it has glow plugs to be told "no it doesn't all car have spark plugs" that was cue to walk away from the kwik-fit centre......
    Astra H 1.8 SRi

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hiya all,

I think most members will know my feelings on this subject by now, but I'm lying low for now.

However I could not resist your thread.

Watch out though - the mods might think it's inappropriate and pointless and lock your post!

Paula
    Minxy is a mod, and did indeed lock your last pathetic thread for being pointless

Enjoy life, Brian

Back on topic........................

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks Geoff.

Paula/Brian/whoever you are, please refrain from posting in this and other threads unless relevant to the topic. I have removed both your posts from this thread for being completely useless drivel. This will continue until you post in relevance to the title subject.

To the others who have posted, thank you and lets have some more!
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Paula this is a genuine post on peoples opinions, yours was a moan about peoples attitudes on this forum yet you wouldn't put your money where your mouth was and back up your statements so it was rightly closed.

Just to add I think more garages would benefit from having more women on the shopfloor so to speak as I know quite a few women feel a bit intimated going to garages where its just men.
    Astra H 1.8 SRi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    To be honest, as long as they know what they are doing, at the end of the day it makes no odds to me who works on my car.

My mate used to have a female work on his race car for him, she didn't get treated any differently to the rest of the guys in the team.

Also, there is at least one team in the BTCC that has females working for them on the cars. I know Tempus Sport/Bamboo Engineering last year had a female working on the car collecting data and advising on set ups etc.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know about anyone else, but sometimes i feel kinda intimidated when taking my car to a garage, sometimes i get the feeling they smell money when i mentiona problem, however if it was a women that was as qualified and experienced as said mechanic who smells money i wouldnt feel so bad about having her look at the car, weird or?

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    woman 100% have a place in the motor industry -

on the parts calendars

And before anyone gets the hump with the joke above I fully agree with Geoff, as long as they can do their job it makes no difference to me in the slightest. Again they usually try twice as hard and do a better job. I know a couple of female painters and plumbers on building sites that work dam hard and never have problems with their work.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've found a similar thing. The female car sprayers I have met are better than the guys and that's not my opinion, that comes from their male counterparts and their bosses. I also think you are right in that they have to work much harder to be seen as an equal, I know I have in my job role.

I'm curious to know if women would be put off working with a load of guys. Personally I couldn't give a monkeys and would rather be in with a load of men than with women but I understand that not all women feel this way.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast