Thread: timing 1.7td gm lump 1998

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

timing 1.7td gm lump 1998

hi peeps im new to this forum. i have a astra van 1998 1.7td with the gm lump. i have recently changed the headgasket and then found out you need a special tool to time it up. i dont have that sort of money so is there any other ways to do this? much help apreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi dumdum and welcome to this forum,

That fellow on the mk3 forum did give good info on the subject of timing and clearly he felt strongly about the need to use the dial gauge but I have certainly read about doing this without that tool.

I'm surprised that one of the other regulars didn't contribute because I'm sure he has done similar work on his X17DTL without the dial gauge. I was quoting a diesel mechanic who said that the dial gauge is required to get the timing "spot on". I can guarantee you that the idiot that did my timing belt a couple of years ago didn't have a dial gauge.

Anyway, good to see that you included an email address on this forum. I will send you some files I have that may help. I assume that you have a Haynes manual for your car?

Cheers, Paul

----------

hey I just read your post on the other forum and see that in fact you have it running but need to adjust pump timing - is that right? I think I have info on that so I guess you can ignore the email I sent. And I assumed your 1998 was a mk4 but now I think it may be an mk3 is that right?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi paul . its dumdum0910 off mk3oc. and yes mate i have got a haynes manual if u you could send some info or what not to de-rbi-07@hotmail.co.uk. cheers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and yes mate its the mk3. i also think the timing is out aswell as its got no power and smokes like a good 1

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Already sent a couple of emails today to the email address that's on your profile.

Did you get those or do I need to resend them to this different address?

So I'm curious whether the injection pump pulley mark lined up with the mark on the plastic casing when you set the timing?

Cheers, Paul
    -------------

I reckon you are so close but you may need to pay someone with the right gear to set the timing properly for you...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i got the emails cheers mate. i will give them a read over tomorrow. and see if i can get it running. yh i pretty sure im so close.. this engine is such a stupid design why cant it be the same as a petrol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just tried the info you sent me mate and it snapped 4 rocker arms

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is some one with the special looking tool and timing tool willing to lend a hand or let me borrow the tools as im on the verge of giving up now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dumdum0910 View Post
    i just tried the info you sent me mate and it snapped 4 rocker arms
    Quote Originally Posted by dumdum0910 View Post
    is some one with the special looking tool and timing tool willing to lend a hand or let me borrow the tools as im on the verge of giving up now
    Sorry to hear that you snapped 4 rocker arms. No offense, but I suspect that you did something wrong as the Autodata PDF file for Astra F X17DTL is the correct info, so I wouldn't blame the info.

The fact that you are also asking for the locking tool and timing tool suggests that you tried to do the timing without locking things down. I've never done the cambelt on my engine, but I gather it normal practice to rotate the crankshaft by hand a couple of revolutions to indicate that nothing is going to break.

Anyway if it is just the rocker arms and not bent valves, somebody asked about these before, and I have seen them fairly cheap on the internet eg http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/...90323514N.html

I agree that it would be best if you could borrow the correct locking tools and dial gauge off someone. By the way, according to part# it is the same dial gauge used to set timing as well as injector pump feed start - it just uses an adapter which may be in the Sealey kit http://www.toolsdirect2you.co.uk/pro...ageHistory=cat

- can't quite see it in the picture or on the list .

If I could buy that kit in New Zealand I would. Guess like anything else I could have it shipped

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    everything was at 90 degress btdc. im going down the local scrappy next week see if they got any 1.7td in scrap and have a look at them for a ruff idea