Thread: Instrument Cluster Indicators.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Instrument Cluster Indicators.

Astra 1.6SE, standard fit, no optional extras.

This is my first Astra and I am pleased with it so far. No major problems, only the few niggles I mention below. I find it a good comfortable car to drive although the 1.6 is maybe a bit under powered for the weight of the car. This is probably reflected in the fuel consumption which is not as good as I expected, even with a light right foot.

I will shortly be booking my car into the dealership to have some work carried out under warranty. The fault is with the Average Fuel Consumption feature on the Drivers Information Centre. When I reset the display the figure resets momentarily to 0 and then goes to 35.3mpg. This figure is the same every time it is reset. I believe this is a fairly common problem and requires a software reset or reload.

There are also a number of indicator lights on the Instrument Cluster that do not seem to be working as described in the Owners Manual. If the equipment is fitted in my car I would expect the associated indicator lights to operate as explained in the Owners Manual. Before I book the car in can anyone provide an answer to the following questions. Any information you guys can give would be a great help.

Automatic Lights

With the Light Switch set to AUTO the daylight running lights and indicator on the Speedometer and sidelights/headlights and indicator on the Tachometer operate as expected for the available light.

There is also an Automatic Light Control Indicator on the Tachometer located between the Left Turn Indicator and the External Light Indicator at the bottom of the Tachometer (see page 80 of the Owners Manual, mine is issue 01/2010). On page 86 of the Owners Manual under Exterior Light it states that this Automatic Light Control Indicator illuminates green when the automatic light control is switched on (AUTO Position on the light switch). This does not happen on my car.

Question 1: Should the Automatic Light Control Indicator on the Tachometer illuminate when lighting is set to AUTO?

Automatic Rain Sensor Wipers

There is an Automatic Rain Sensor Indicator on the Speedometer located at the 80mph position. On page 86 of the Owners Manual under Rain Sensor it states that this indicator illuminates green when the Automatic Rain Sensor is selected. This does not happen on my car.

Question 2: Should the Automatic Rain Sensor Indicator on the Speedometer illuminate when Automatic Rain Sensor is selected ON at the control stalk?

Ride Control System

According to the Owners Manual (page 80) there should be a Traction Control Off (TC OFF) Indicator located at the 2000 rev position on the Tachometer which should illuminate when the TC is deactivated (page 133). The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Indicator on the Tachometer and Electronic Stability Control Off (ESC OFF) Indicator on the Speedometer operate as expected (at least during the ignition check and when the ESC is set to off).

On the Tachometer in my car the TC OFF indicator has been replaced with the indicator for the Lane Departure Warning. My car does not have the Lane Departure system fitted but does have Traction Control.

Question 3: Is the Traction Control Off indicator on the Tachometer of anyone else’s car?

Rear Seat Belt Indicators

On the Drivers Information Centre (DIC) there are three seat belt indicators for the rear seats (see page 80), I assume one for each seat belt position. From what it says on page 81 of the Owners Manual I would expect these indicators to operate in a similar way to the seat belt indicators for the drivers seat belt and front passenger seat belt. The rear seat belt indicators do not work on my car.

Question 4: Should the rear seat belt warning indicators on the DIC illuminate when the rear seats are occupied and operate as described in the Owners Manual?

Other Indicators

Two other indicators shown in the Owners Manual are not on the Instrument Cluster on my car. These are the Reduced Engine Power indicator (page 80 and 85 in the owners manual) located at the 0mph position on the Speedometer and the Upshift indicator (page 80 and page 83 in the owners manual) located at the 160mph position on the Speedometer.

Question 5: Are the Reduced Engine Power indicator and Upshift indicator on the Speedometer of anyone else’s car.

Any information you guys can provide will make it easier to get things sorted at the dealer.

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "I will shortly be booking my car into the dealership to have some work carried out under warranty. The fault is with the Average Fuel Consumption feature on the Drivers Information Centre. When I reset the display the figure resets momentarily to 0 and then goes to 35.3mpg. This figure is the same every time it is reset. I believe this is a fairly common problem and requires a software reset or reload".

I returned my car to the dealer for the precise same problem, they checked it out and I was told that the computer was working correctly and it would display the correct average after a short mileage.

Every other car I've had worked as you would expect, that is to zero. I am still convinced that is how it should be with the J but they haven't got their act together.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have the same model as you and mine is the same as regards warning lights, could be that we have the centre info display which some of the other models don't.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got an Elite and the warning lights are the same on mine. Although my fuel computer shows 47.5MPG

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Astra 1.6 turbo does exactly the same , the average fuel consumption changes momentarily to 0 and then goes to 35.3 but it does change a bit when i am driving.My latest problem is the coolant warning indicator keeps popping up to say my coolants are low , my husband checked the oil and water etc but he says all is fine. However the other night after my car had been sitting parked up for 4 hours after me drivng during the day my husband popped the hood to check the oil etc again and he said the engine was very hot considering the car had been sitting for that long , we turned the engine over and the fan came on straight away, going to try it again tonight.
    The fuel consumption is absolutely pants by the way and is no where what the book suggests and my factory fitted USB failed after 2 weeks of having the car. The reason for this is i plugged in my ipod to the USB before i switched the engine on and apparently if you do this it kills the AUX function, it took the garage ages and a new USB port being fitted unneccesarily and after that didn't work they spoke to Vauxhall who advised them to reformat my connection which cured it. Actually it was quite funny as the electrician chap at the vauxhall garage literally ran out to wave me down after the car had been handed back to me to say to me make sure the engine is running before you plug anything in to the USB or you'll be back again. I believe or so i am told that there will be a re write done by Vauxhall to correct this.
    Also i am not a speed demon but i like the idea that it is there if i need it however the other night going to work along the M9 i nearly got tanked by a nissan micra i thought this car was meant to be a bit faster that your average car.
    As a final note has anyone noticed if after driving theirs that it makes some really weird clanking and pinging noises or is it just mine, honestly you can hear it all over the car park.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Automatic Light Control doesn't have an icon in the instrument panel. The green icon you are talking about is for the High Beam Assist.

The rear seatbelt icons show up in the center display when starting the engine and when the seat belt is either put on or unfastened.

The auto wipers' icon doesn't work for anyone. I haven't tried the TC yet, but I heard others are having problems with that too.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra mk 6 Driver information centre, average fuel consumption fault.

I have an Astra mk 6 SRI 1.4T. It does exactly the same After reset the average fuel consumption changes momentarily to 0 and then goes to 35.3 then changes when i am driving. Not sure whether to believe it or not.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Automatic Lights - Should the Automatic Light Control Indicator on the Tachometer illuminate when lighting is set to AUTO?

There is also an Automatic Light Control Indicator on the Tachometer located between the Left Turn Indicator and the External Light Indicator at the bottom of the Tachometer… On page 86 of the Owners Manual under Exterior Light it states that this Automatic Light Control Indicator illuminates green when the automatic light control is switched on (AUTO Position on the light switch). This does not happen on my car. (MANUAL IS AT BEST CONFUSING, MORE ACCURATELY IT IS PLAIN WRONG - THIS IS THE HIGH BEAM ASSIST INDICATOR, AS SHOWN BY THE LITTLE ‘A’ ON THE IMAGE)

The DRL indicator is on the speedo and yours, as you say, works. The manual is wrong – the indicator on the tacho will only illuminate if you have Adaptive Lighting as an option.

Automatic Rain Sensor Wipers - Should the Automatic Rain Sensor Indicator on the Speedometer illuminate when Automatic Rain Sensor is selected ON at the control stalk?

As you have an SE, you have the larger display between the dials and (as per pic of my car) the rain sensor on message appears in there when you move the lever to on or off.

Ride Control System - Is the Traction Control Off indicator on the Tachometer of anyone else’s car?

As previous answer – on your car the on/off messages appear in the DIC central display – with the engine running hold the switch in and watch.

Rear Seat Belt Indicators - Should the rear seat belt warning indicators on the DIC illuminate when the rear seats are occupied and operate as described in the Owners Manual?

On start up, the 3 seats appear in the DIC (as per pic of my car), and will show clearly when a seat belt is done up – the greyed out seat that is occupied becomes ‘solid’ - this image will disappear after roughly a minute and a half.

Other Indicators - Are the Reduced Engine Power indicator and Upshift indicator on the Speedometer of anyone else’s car.

My Meriva 1.4 Turbo had the upshift light, but it’s dependent on engine and build date, I think (current very early 1.7CDTi 125 Astra doesn’t have it). Reduced power light – nope, but it may only appear when it’s needed, as all indicators don’t light up on start-up.

Hope all this helps and makes your dealer conversation a bit easier!