Thread: Electric parking brake light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Electric parking brake light

Hi people.I have a astra se 1.6 auto on the motability scheme.
    The problem is the orange electric parking brake light.The one on the speedo.
    Over the past few weeks it has come on and then goes off at any time.It has been looked at quickly twice in the past two weeks by my local dealer.They said they cant find anything wrong.But testerday guess what,It started again.Its going in next monday for a proper inspection.Im sure the garage thinks im imagining it.I emailed vauxhall head office two days ago about the problem.I got a phone call this morning from vauxhall at 11.30a.m.
    They gave me a case numberI.They are going to keep in contact with me and the garage.Lets hope they get it sorted.
    Just to add im 55 years old.So not a coffin dodger yet.I have had astras since 1994.This is the first time i have had any trouble with an astra.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi steve i have a 1.6 elite and the parking break light was at first intermitent and , the dealer had call me saying there was a recall on the model for a softwear update i mentioned the problem and had the car looked at with the reply things were now ok.
    but now the light comes on more frequently and i have found that when this happens the break lignts also come on, and if im on the motor way and using cruse control it is turned off the the break light comes on, i have also gone to the car after parking up and found the break lights to be on when it has been parked up, i have now booked a thired visit to the garage hopefully this will be the end of it, i sugest you have a night drive and watch for the reflection off the back window when next the break warning light comes on to see if your break lights are activating with it good luck

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The garage had it in yesterday for three hours.They wouldnt say what was wrong, just that they replaced the parking brake switch.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejk75 View Post
    Hi people.I have a astra se 1.6 auto on the motability scheme.
    The problem is the orange electric parking brake light.The one on the speedo.
    Over the past few weeks it has come on and then goes off at any time.It has been looked at quickly twice in the past two weeks by my local dealer.They said they cant find anything wrong.But testerday guess what,It started again.Its going in next monday for a proper inspection.Im sure the garage thinks im imagining it.I emailed vauxhall head office two days ago about the problem.I got a phone call this morning from vauxhall at 11.30a.m.
    They gave me a case numberI.They are going to keep in contact with me and the garage.Lets hope they get it sorted.
    Just to add im 55 years old.So not a coffin dodger yet.I have had astras since 1994.This is the first time i have had any trouble with an astra.
    I have the astra SRI and my parking light came up on the speedo same as yours I took it back to vauxhall and they said they had fixed it a week later it was back again same problem so back again said have fixed it but on my way home the light came on yet again, so back again the next day and they said that they had sorted the problem out this time. After taking my son down to his club I locked the car and all the break light came on bearing in mind that it was just starting to get dark I drove home locked the car and same again the breaking lights came on and would not go off no matter what I did, ended up calling the RAC and they temporary disconnected something so the break lights went off. Next day back down to vauxhall one again they ranf me to say they had to order a part but it was out of stock and gave me a car and that was 2 weeks ago tomorrow(thurs) I have rang them this week and the part is still out of stock bearing the car is only six month old.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Guess what mine has started to play up again two days ago.Vauxhall head office are now involved.They said they may take it in for a week and have another look at it.They also said this time i will get a loan car free.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just found this via google, the light on mine has been on and off like a disco light this morning. It needs the other recall doing anyway so I guess it time to send it back.

Does anyone actually thing a electric parking break is a good idea? A failure on a 5 month old car, when this thing is 5 years old no-one will touch it with a bargepole.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh thank god for this thread I thought I was going mad! My sri is 6months old. My orange parking brake light likes to flash on and off on a regular basis but they could not find any fault when I took it in a couple of months back, so since then I have been trying to ignore it. Today I have taken it in for developing epileptic brake lights and have just had the call to say they can't find any fault with this either (despite me being stopped by 3 people to tell me of the strobing effect they were getting driving behind me). When I was less than impressed with their answer they have now rung back to say they will replace the brake switch just for the hell of it to see what happens. I'm not holding my breath and getting pretty fed up. I've had other Astras and never had any problems with them so am really disappointed with this one at the moment.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I also have the problem with the epileptic (lol) brake lights. The was a recall for a BCM upgrade which in some cases fixes the flickering. But if not, the brake switch must be replaced and the flickering will stop. I'm waiting for the part for now, because they have no stock.
    Opel Astra J, A14NET, 6 speed manual, Sport edition

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Replacing the brake switch (if that's what they did?) has sorted the fault so far. And as a bonus side effect the orange parking brake light seems to have disappeared too? Fingers crossed that sorts it out but I will keep checking my rear reflections just in case!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

quick fix solution

i have the new astra sri tdi 1.7 and my electrical breaking light came on and the hand break would not come off i tryed many things but what worked was holding the hand break button down hard for 15 seconds reset the hand break system and is fine now. hope this help atleast some one. good luck