Thread: Advice needed.

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Advice needed.

My car took a hit underneath at the weekend which caused the sump plug and sump itself to be damaged so i need a new sump, i went to the scrappy today and they said they have one off a 1.8 zafira, will this fit my 1.8 astra?

Also, my car was serviced and the sump sealant was changed last Tuesday and it has now developed a bad leak from the engine, (as you look from the front of the car it would be the right hand side of the bottom of the sump where the gearbox bolts on.) I have been told this is the main oil seal gone? Is this correct?

They said that the whole gearbox and clutch will need to come out to change this, and it could be worth it putting a new clutch in, now my car has only done 47k miles so would you say this is worth it? Or could i upgrade to a better clutch, if so what do people reccomend?

Thanks, John
    2002 Vauxhall Astra Coupe 888 no.42

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone????

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    After reading this I'm still a bit confused as to what happened after what event! It looks suspicious that you have an oil leak just after having work done on the car, I would get a second opinion from a good garage or mechanic. If the crank oil seal on the gearbox side was leaking it would mean taking off the subframe, gearbox, clutch etc to replace it, true. And it would be an idea to replace the clutch while it's off.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    One doesn't know the extent of the damage that had been caused,

I would suggest a good clean, jet washed etc and see exatly where the leak is,

the worst senario being a crack in the alloy, the best a badly fitted sump

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Get the clutch checked before jumping to change it, that mileage is nothing unless you ride the clutch.

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeh sorry I haven't made it very clear. Basically it was serviced and the sump was resealed last Tuesday. It smelt badly of oil all week but I only noticed the oil coming out Monday. There is a lot of oil aswell. Anyway I took it back and he just looked underneath and said it's the main oil seal gone. I wasn't happy with this so took it somewhere else who found a leak on the other side coming from the sump sealant. I took it back to the original garage this morning who tightened the sump and said to leave it and see if it comes out again. As soon as I got home it was dripping again.