Thread: make a mk4 more comfy?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

make a mk4 more comfy?

I'm after some help here. My mum has a 1999 S reg mk4 Astra 1.8 CDX auto in a rather unusual colour i think called antelope (she calls it diaper brown)

basically my query is that none of us find her car comfortable and the worst offender is the drivers seat. what i am wanting to know is, is there a way to fit mk 5 seats as i've tried the seats in a design and they are perfectly comfortable and also is there any form of after market suspension or standard suspension that can soften the ride abit.

if i cant find a way to soften it up for her i'll be putting a for sale thread for it but she's rather keep it as she likes the performance, economy, reliability and space it offers. only cars we've found that are nice enough is a 2001 corolla 1.6 vvti GLS auto and pug 307 1.6 auto and they are both alot slower.

please help.

btw, i'm called fordfan becuase the only vauxhall i've owned was a 2000 W vectra 1.8 CD and it was hard, uncomfortable, thirsty, slow, and had the handling prowess of the QE2. where as the 2 mondeos i've had have been better ownership experiences.
    however i will concede the astra is very nice to drive but horrible to go long distance - not that we do often as have my mondeo and my dads audi A6 2.5TDi which is the worst car ever made

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there might be a bit of info here, regarding putting mk5 seats in a mk4

welcome, by the way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    some brand new suspension all round would be a nice addition

Sachs or Bilstein are 2 trusted brands - not at all expensive either..... try LMF Vauxhall for Bilstein or Euro Car Parts for Bilstein or Sachs.

just regular OE spec shocks all round and maybe some new springs if ur current ones are in a bad way, could even throw in a cheeky 30mm drop all round

Youll see a monumental difference in comfort and handling with new shocks as opposed to the tired originals!

Mk5 seats should be a straight fit - even more so if u get them from another 5 door model

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    some brand new suspension all round would be a nice addition

Sachs or Bilstein are 2 trusted brands - not at all expensive either..... try LMF Vauxhall for Bilstein or Euro Car Parts for Bilstein or Sachs.

just regular OE spec shocks all round and maybe some new springs if ur current ones are in a bad way, could even throw in a cheeky 30mm drop all round

Youll see a monumental difference in comfort and handling with new shocks as opposed to the tired originals!

Mk5 seats should be a straight fit - even more so if u get them from another 5 door model

HTH
    thanks for the advice guys. dont care too much bout slight handling trade off for ride comfort and wouldnt get away with any kinda drop. one thing i know will help is once i put the new wheels on. there off a mk5, same size but have better tyres. looked into standard shocks but still bit too hard, wanted to see if there was some adjustable shocks that wound to softest setting would help. if i can get it softer she'll keep it and says i can do few upgrades for her considting of angel eyes or at least matching headlights (ones brand new and others original), front fog lights, later tail lights, colour code door handles, strips and sill covers just so it has the CDX trim look to it.

those of you interested, this is the offending car

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mk5 front seats fit in no problems.the only thing you need to do to get the rear to fit is change the center bracket off your old seat to the mk5 one then they just drop in.i put some in my estate a little while back.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=246160