Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rebuild + mapping questions???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New rebuild + mapping questions???

Currently got my Z20LET being fully stripped and rebuilt as I am going Garrett GT28, I will need to run the new engine in first so...

I will be fitting VXR injectors and 80mm AFM once I get to red-dot, however can I run my engine in (800-1000miles) with a Garrett GT28 fitted and no remap until I get to red-dot (after 1000miles done)?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know for sure but I would imagine yes, should be fine! As long as it's running then it will run it in, regardless of the map! As long as the map isn't stupidly horrible to cause issues with the running, but as far as I am aware besides the AFM and Injectors the rest can run without the map on so should be fine I would think!

Sure someone will correct me if this is wrong!
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So long as you follow the guides on bedding in a newly built/rebuilt engine you will likely be fine, they don't reckon you thrash it for a good few hundred miles anyhow.

What are you classing as 'fully rebuilt' and have you got a plan for bedding the piston rings in, as really nothing else needs to be worried about, there's nothing to bed aside from the rings against the bores.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    So long as you follow the guides on bedding in a newly built/rebuilt engine you will likely be fine, they don't reckon you thrash it for a good few hundred miles anyhow.

What are you classing as 'fully rebuilt' and have you got a plan for bedding the piston rings in, as really nothing else needs to be worried about, there's nothing to bed aside from the rings against the bores.
    Full strip down, crank balance, balancer shaft deletion, lighter flywheel, Steel Rods, Forged Cosworth Pistons with honing of bores, ported / polished / gasflowed head, valves lapped in, new seals and bearings, ARP everything, Garrett GT2871R.

The running in part doesn't phase me, specifically I am wondering if the Garrett will run on the car with no map for 1000miles?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mrjp, I didn't think it was possible to run a Garrett GT28 on a standard map due to boost levels. It may be worth running the engine in first and a few days / weeks prior to going to Red.Dot fit the Garrett and then drive across steadily until the remap has been tailored to cope with this uprated turbo
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrStush View Post
    mrjp, I didn't think it was possible to run a Garrett GT28 on a standard map due to boost levels. It may be worth running the engine in first and a few days / weeks prior to going to Red.Dot fit the Garrett and then drive across steadily until the remap has been tailored to cope with this uprated turbo
    Ahhhh, thanks mate, thats what I feared, my standard turbo is pretty shot so now I am stumped

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just poodle around under 2k revs! That still works right? lol
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe2T View Post
    Just poodle around under 2k revs! That still works right? lol
    IMO proper running in requires a few high revs too though to properly run her in.

With so many people running Garretts I can't believe no one has faced this predicament before, there seems to be no reading on the subject anywhere.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I think most people who go Garrett chuck them on existing. Ateeur might be a good person to ask, he seems to be forever building new engines with all sorts of different specs!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From reading on this site, most people with Garretts already have their engines run in. If however your ECU has already been mapped prior to an engine rebuild and you are using the same ECU that was previously remapped with your Garrett in Situ, then it is safe to run in the new engine with the Garrett. Personally not heard of anyone with a Z20Let trying to run in a Garrett on a newly built engine on a standard map. as mentioned the boost generated on a Garrett is different to that of a Let or VXR Turbo. I wouldn't have thought it advisable to try this.
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast