Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook

Being off sick help?

ok i have a story to tell and some info is needed along the way from anyone in the know how

My GF is a Care worker and tbh i think her line manager is ripping the utter piss regarding her

She was signed off work last fridat at 4.30pm with suspected gastric flu and a grumbaling apendix. We had her at hospital the day before regarding it aswell.
    Now i handed in her sick line and after about 5 mins of her manager huffing and moaning about the fact she was supposed to be working that night etc, she took the sick line and that was it..

The sick line was for 7 days, and so she would return to work a week on monday, that would be the 2nd AUG as she wouldnt have been working the weekend anyway and the monday is the first day on her week.

Yesterday the office phone her bitching as to why she wasnt at work! erm, sick line?!????? ( bearing in mind she starts at 7am, the call came at 3.30pm! ) she advised them she was still unwell and had a further apointment with the doc that day at 4pm and she would contact them regarding it after the doctor had seen her. ( shes now signed off for another 10 days! )

Now the council have an out of hours office called EDT and there supposed to be there for carers to contact them if they need them etc. Previously she has been told NOT to contact them if she is unwell, and to cover her own work! erm, no.. that would be the office job!

Well yesterday her office has told her SHE MUST NOT contact EDT if she is signed off. instead she has to personally contact her otehr carers and get them to cover her work! SHES SIGNED OF SICK FFS! SO how can she inform them that she is signed off if the office are closed till monday at 9 and EDT (who are there for this very reason) can not be contacted because her line manager INSTRUCTED HER UNDER NO CIRCUMSATNCES was she to contact them!

The office has instructed EDT to NOT cover her work.... and to top it all off she has not been given her time sheet for next week so how the **** can she cover her own work when she has no idea who she has?

bsically because the office dont work after 4pm on a friday untill 9am monday and people she would have had to care for will now just have no one, surely thats illegal ? there trying to make her cover her work when clearly its not her job? and shes signed off sick!

so after that rambling shambles of a post..
    any suggestions on what she can or should do?

As far as i am aware they cant make her cover her work if she has been signed of work, surely this is a case of the office not bothering there arses doing there job.

thoughts?
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    I would have thought that if Em is off sick for 7 days, her work is legally bound to get cover for her clients while she is ill?

If your receptionist was off work ill, you wouldn't expect her to get cover herself would you?

Do you have a CAB type place near you? Just to clarify where she stands really. Does she have a written contract that states she has to arrange cover?

Status
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    as far as i know she has NOT to cover her own clients.. thats the job of the office.. its just this one cow thats the problem..

thing is its really getting to her as she is already under allot of strees as it is and with being unwell too and not having any answers to why she is unwell, the last thing she needs is this idiot hastling her about clients she dont even know shes got!

I have suggested she contacts CAB on monday and explanes the situation to them, shes just worried because her work make her feel like she in the wrong for being ill!

become a paid member:

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would definately get in touch with cab as soon as you can for emma, or take it higher up if you can (dont know on set up), it does sound that this person is trying to make the situation worse and as emma's signed off it is a legal requirement for the employers to find cover while signed off, that i am certain about, and if need be get in touch with the council, if anything to get advice on who to speak to! as the office is closed and the 'office' has been less than helpful..and how is a sick employee supposed to arrange cover, think that this 'office worker' couldnt be bothered to do their own job!
    Had similar issue's with a relative, who had a brain haemmorage and they wanted to know if they could come to work the following week , but that was residental care home, so might be different.. hope emma gets better soon
    in the words of colin mcrae..
    'if in doubt, flat out' ...my hero
    has a plan..

Status
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    cheers peole.. ill let her know what everyone says.. shes still sleeping..

shes no been right for weeks..

been in and out o hospital wi pain in the abdomen etc, they keep saying UTI yet when we had her tested there is no UTI!

its driving her nuts..

last week she was just being sick and had the runs etc..
    its no food poisining so we just gotta wait and see now...

become a paid member:

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you might want to visit moneysavingexpert.co.uk and check out the forums on that site as i'm sure many others have had similar experiences on there that could help you out.

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stu firstly i wish your girly a speedy recovery, poor girl what a disaster as if she doesnt feel rough enough then she has too deal with this rubbish. Like already said unless it is written into her contract of employment and she has signed to agree to it it is not her responsibility to arrange cover for while she is off sick?? The responsibility falls on her line manager and no one else. You are of course under obligation to ring in sick and provide a Doctors/sick note which you have done, you should then have to phone in to discuss a return to work date again with the line manger. It annoys me so much when i hear these stories, if god forbid your girly was more seriously ill an unable to be in contact at all what would they do then??? You are allowed to be off ill and should not feel guilty about it. So i wouldnt worry, let her get better then return to work, if her line manager or employers have a problem they can ask your girlfriend for a meeting and discuss the matter officially. Jxx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would ask for the copy of her contract where it states "you are responsible for covering your work"

She is not self employed, so it is up to the line manager to arrange cover. That is what she is paid for. Don't take any bullshit. Sounds like a right jobsworth, will be out to climb the ladder trampling on anyone and everyone to get there.

They always return to earth with a bang......

Also when better she should request a formal meeting with an appropriate senior to the line manager. I always found that the best way to do this is to ask the line manager for the details of her superior, and contact information as you wish to report the matter as you feel you are being unfairly dealt with. Usually the bum starts twitching at this point and they backtrack like ****

Best way is to say "who do you directly report to as i would like to discuss this issue with them" Amazing how quickly they shut up when this is mentioned

I know my previous employer had an instance where they employed polish workers. And the manager tried the blackmail with them. If they didn't stay on later then don't bother coming in tomorrow. But the same company in the past had every area manager swarming shop floor due to someone reporting an instance of victimisation......they hate that.

Also you might want to mention due to the fact she cares for vulnerable people, then them failing to have a system in place to deal with such a situation would be a good read in the local and national press. The area of work she is in has had a lot of negative publicity recently and they don't want it dragged through the press and highlighted that they are incapable of organising a piss-up in a brewery.

Use it to your advantage

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The world is full of nobs...

Unless stated in her contract then covering her work is classed as work and since she is unfit to work how can she sort cover? What if she was in hospital in a coma, are they expecting her to arrange cover then?

CAB and go from there

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tell them to get f**ked and do their own donkey work.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.