Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip to Red Dot today - Unbelievable!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Trip to Red Dot today - Unbelievable!!

Having had numerous silly issues with the car, holding back, surging and generally being a bitch.... then it failed it's MOT as the emissions were horrific and then prompely cracked four spark plugs, today I went to Red Dot in London and I'm absolutely stunned. And that's saying something!

First thing, into the local Ford dealer for some new spark plugs then a 150 mile trip to London covering some A roads, 80mph (ish) motorway run and some town driving and it returned 29.8mpg.

Arrived at Red Dot and was greeted by Paulo, car was taken in straight away and diagnostics commenced. First, a dyno run to check what was happening with the map that was on it in terms of fuel and boost (a Wallace/V.Max phase 1 effort) and to see if the running issues could be replicated on the rollers.

The map that was on it was spiking the boost to 18.8Psi around 3000rpm (ish) then dropping to 11PSi, meanwhile the fuelling was all over the shop. Bear in mind, the air/fuel ratio should be around 14:7 ideally... mine was 12:1... at idle! And the rest made for poor reading too. Little wonder it failed it's MOT test, there was almost fuel running out the exhaust!

Next, Red Dot uploaded a standard map to check if the issue was with the car (lambda sensors, drawing air etc etc) or if the original map was to blame. On a basic, base map it did 215bhp and 230lb/ft and the fuelling and boost were absolutely spot on. Very few issues on the graphs and the air/fuel ratio at idle was back to 14:9 - 15:1.

Next, remap time and we'd agreed not to go for maximum figures, just to make the car nice to drive and with a smooth power delivery. 30mins of keyboard tapping and lots of complex stuff later and the new Red Dot map was written (By Oggie, who was at that point in Italy!) and uploaded.

Finally a diagnostic run to ensure all was well then a couple of power runs... 268bhp and 298lb/ft... at 14PSi! And that was being ultra-conservative and safe. Needless to say I wasn't expecting those figures at such a relatively low boost pressure and so if I want, there is more there but for now we decided to run with that for today.

Drive home... unbelievable. So much smoother to drivem, no holding back, no hesitating and the best thing is there is no mad rush of power, it just pulls relaentlessly to the red line. Mid range toque is superb now, actually a joy to drive.

Got home, emptied the car and checked the multi-function display... bear in mind, exactly the same route and help up for about an hour on the M25, plus I was probably faster on the M4 (new power, plus getting pissed off at the middle land sitters) Checked the MPG... 37.8mpg!

It's gained almost 10mpg!

Absolutely chuffed to bits, delighted in fact... would highly highly recommend Red Dot, and I shall be back with an enlarged top hat, VXR injectors and air flow meter soon.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Red dot are ace. Ive drove from aberdeen twice now and the Gsi will be trailered down for the 500bhp map.. And my vxr is going there to!!!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wat mods u got any min m8? glad ur happy with ur car tom

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Standard Z20LET engine
    Z20LEH turbo
    TX Autosport FMIC with the smaller pipes... I forget the exact size just now!
    TX Autosport reverse airbox kit with standard paper filter and intake
    Scorpion cpre-cat pipe, 200 cell catalyst and system
    Ford 071C spark plugs

And that's pretty much it...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dave, some nice figures there at low boost.... glad you are happy with you car and are now in a position to be able to enjoy your car!..
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am going to RED.dot myself, but 215BHP on a standard map! their rollers are obviously very optimistic.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much did it cost

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjp View Post
    I am going to RED.dot myself, but 215BHP on a standard map! their rollers are obviously very optimistic.
    mrjp, I respect your opinion, but how so??.... There are many Z20let engines that have ranged anywhere from 190bhp - 220bhp on a standard map on this site. Engine health and a mild few mods i.e exhaust etc have seen people see these figures.. I made 217bhp on a standard map with just a cat back exhaust...
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had over 230bhp on standard map and know plenty others with similar figures

if u fit all the hardware like i did then theres no reason not to achieve such figures.

He said standard "map" NOT standard "engine and map"

Anyway, glad you got your issues resolved

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding making 215bhp/230lb/ft on a "standard" ap, when I say standard I mean as in a base map that is similar, but not indentical to a Vauxhall OEM map... plus teh car has a front mount and turbo back system along with a VXR turbo and tweaked actuator so to be fair, I thought it may have done more. But frankly, those figures are irrelevant as it was done purely for diagnostic reasons... normally they would just map it but as mine had underlying issues, they were making sure it was an issue with my phase 1 map, and not something wrong with the car before they remapped it fully.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast